1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Big black walnut

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by ScotO, Mar 19, 2012.

1. BrianK

BrianK Guest

What kind of forge, Scotty? I just sold an antique hand-cranked forge last month that I had picked up years ago to pour Babbitt bearings.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    Very nice Scotty. Every homeowner should have a forge >> How long did it take to strip the bark off with that new-fangleddevice?

When I was a young lad I visited Old Fort William up in Thunder Bay, donned some pioneer era clothes and made a river paddle with a draw knife. Seems to me that would work well in this case too.
  3. ScotO

ScotO Guest

That's my buddy Joe's forge. I have a small farriers forge that needs fire clay and a shroud, someday. I wish I knew you had one, I would have considered buying it....
  4. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Only took a couple minutes to remove the bark, that spud is pretty slick. I can see me using it often in the future....
  5. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    How would firewood dry in that solar kiln?
    lukem likes this.
  6. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    No idea, and we'll probably never find out. We're both 4+ years ahead on firewood.
    ScotO likes this.