Big Chunk Technology

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntindog1

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2011
South Central Indiana
I have seen posts about people using real big splits the kind you can only get like 3 in the stove total.

Last year I really didnt have real good and dry wood but the wood I had worked but it was not ideal.

I tried this recently instead of raking my coals forward I just spread the coals out and had a pretty decent depth of good hot coals, I'd say about 3" deep.

So I loaded the stove up with 3 huge splits, Splits that were good and dry.

The 3 huge splits filled the stove pretty good but not like I could pack in small splits. There was more room up top around the secondary tubes.

I was skeptical if not having the stove completely full if the stove wood burn all night plus loading on such a coal bed would make them burn too fast.

My thought was the bigger splits would burn slower on the deep hot coal bed and not over heat the stove. Plus I made sure I got the air turned down in time not to let things get too hot.

It all worked really well , I got a 9 hour burn with a stove load with just 3 splits and the stove not packed full and loaded on such a hot coal bed.

House was a nice and warm 71 in the morning when I got up.

Big Chunk Good and Dry wood is a nice option to have.

All 3 chunks were Red Oak. One of the splits was a chunk like 8" by 9" 20" long .

That's about what i done except the split's were not quiet that big and they were birch.

Loaded 3 on at 10:30 last night Then 3 more at 2 woke with enough coals to reload got it right back going house was 73 when i woke up at 7:30 this morning.

I'm happy with that.

The large splits have a smaller surface area than the small splits so the burn is slowed down due to lack of O2.

Matt

I cut some tree tops last winter from a woods that was logged some time ago. We had an extreme drought this summer in Indiana so it had ideal drying conditions.

My window was nice and clean the next morning so it was good and dry wood as I had the stove air shut down all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.