Big E Auger Motor noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lvfd50

Oct 1, 2007
Livonia NY
I have a Breckwell Big E and noticed recently that the auger motor squeels loud when I start it up. It seems like it stops making the loud noise after the stove has run for a while. Last night I decided to empty the hopper and clean everything, but the motor still made this noise. After that I pulled the motor out and noticed that if it is on its side the noise goes away, but then when I turn it back to the position it would be installed the noise comes back. Everything else seems to be working fine. I was wondering if I should lube the motor with some di-electric grease or somthing to help this.

lvfd50 said:
I have a Breckwell Big E and noticed recently that the auger motor squeels loud when I start it up. It seems like it stops making the loud noise after the stove has run for a while. Last night I decided to empty the hopper and clean everything, but the motor still made this noise. After that I pulled the motor out and noticed that if it is on its side the noise goes away, but then when I turn it back to the position it would be installed the noise comes back. Everything else seems to be working fine. I was wondering if I should lube the motor with some di-electric grease or somthing to help this.

How old is the stove?

I have had a few auger motors go bad around the 4-5 yr mark. If you pulled it out you are more advanced than most people. If you noticed the auger mounts under the auger tube (dah) which when the auger turns it creates dust. The dust fall onto the motor and the gearbox. Some of that dust will get into the gears and windings and after a period of time cause issues. Clean it up and do what you can but sooner or later it will need to be replaced.

Eric

Thanks, I think the stove is about four or five years old so it could be going bad. The stove came with the house when we purchased it. I will make sure everything is clean and plan on replaceing hopfully not untill summer. I just wanted to makes sure I didn't miss anything. Pellets are new to this wood burner.

lvfd50 said:
Thanks, I think the stove is about four or five years old so it could be going bad. The stove came with the house when we purchased it. I will make sure everything is clean and plan on replaceing hopfully not untill summer. I just wanted to makes sure I didn't miss anything. Pellets are new to this wood burner.

Run it till it dies.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.