Big E blows fuse a couple seconds after being plugged in...???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peasel_85

Dec 2, 2010
Troy, MO
Hi all, new guy here... Just bought a used Breckwell Big E a couple of days ago... Hooked it all up according to the manual and began the firing process. Seemed as if all was going well other than not firing in the time the owners manual said it would. So I manually shut it down with the off button. After emptying the burn pot that was rather hot and giving everything time to cool I tried to start it again and got no response from the stove, no flashing lights or anything. I then did some fishing around on this very helpful site and tried some things that worked for others. Starting with replacing the fuse that was blown. I then plugged the stove back in and I heard the sound of a motor surge and the fuse popped. I then took a multimeter and ohmed everything thing out to see if I had a short somewhere. Didn't find one anywhere... So i then changed the fuse again and with the help of a friend just barely touched the outlet with the power cord and studyed the motors to see which on was making the noise of starting. It turned out to be the convection blower, i could see the little surge spin the squirrel cage and after a few quick tries the fuse blew again. I replaced the fuse again and unhooked the convection motor to see if that was the problem, plugged it back in and heard the motor surge sound that last maybe a quarter of a second and the fuse blew. I am now convinced it is in the control board and am wandering if anyone can tell me how to fix this without just buying a new control board I've done a little soldering on circuit boards and have a radio shack nearby lol.;) Thanks guys, Ryan

Also should have mentioned the fuse that came out of the stove was a .5amp 125volt fuse, I replaced it with a .5amp 250 volt fuse... hopefully that will help. I know everyone else is using 5amp 125 or 250volt fuses but mine was definitly a .5 and I didn't want to change it to a 5amp and really burn something up.

1. You bought it used.
2. Hooked it up according to the manual
3. It keeps blowing fuses
4. I see no mention of cleaning

My .5 cents

hossthehermit said:
1. You bought it used.
2. Hooked it up according to the manual
3. It keeps blowing fuses
4. I see no mention of cleaning

My .5 cents

I'll see your .5 cents and raise it .5 the OP can interpret that as me saying clean the stove also.

peasel_85 said:
I thought cleaning was a given...

You need to read all of the threads on here about used stoves that "were cleaned".

It should be the case, but is rarely the case, and further what passes for clean for some folks is very far from being a clean.

i wouldnt expect the convection blower to come on at cold start, usually they do thhis after stove heats up lest they blow cold air until the stove heats up , sounds like a dead short on that circuit. you said you unhooked the blower but did you turn the stove on with the blower unhooked, if so did it blow fuse with convection blower unhooked?

I missed the convection blower part. Check the POF switch, as the board looks at it as soon as its turned on. The POF should be open until it hits 120ºF. So with a meter and the stove at room temp the switch should be open. If your seeing a closed switch replace it!

thanks for all the help all... everything is good wrong fuse was the problem, and a quick recleaning just to be sure and she is purring like a kitten. Thanks again

try amp meter on convection blower.see what it reads before blowing fuse or unhook leads to to blower motor and see if fuse holds .if does you have isolated the problem to blower .check for jam or obstructed blower or bad motor

Status
Not open for further replies.