1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Big E burn pot

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by snikr, Nov 18, 2013.

1. snikr

snikr Member

Loc:
    Wallingford, VT
    My daughter has a Big E and I helped her clean it this past weekend. I saw that the burn pot (stainless steel one) has a crack in the bottom of it. Where is a good place (ie cheap)to buy one from? I tried to search for my answer but didn't get anywhere in the short amount of time I had. TIA

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. flybmw02

flybmw02 Member

Loc:
    Metrowest Ma
  3. snikr

snikr Member

Loc:
    Wallingford, VT
    Thanks Flybmw02. It does look like a good deal.
  4. MtDew

MtDew Member

Loc:
    Perkasie, PA
    Look for a local welder in your area, make her's can be Tig welded if it is just a crack.
  5. Bioburner

Bioburner Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    West central Mn
    Don't need a tig for stainless. I've used both stainless wire and rod to weld burn pot without problems. Just make sure it's clean.
  6. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

You also may want the Burn Pot collar so the pellets do not bounce out. Breckwell part # A-COLLARBIGE
  7. flybmw02

flybmw02 Member

Loc:
    Metrowest Ma
    Good advise from MtDew,
    There is nothing wrong with welding the pot. Just cut open the crack and mig weld it up. The collar around the pot is a must it keep the splash down.
    The Big E is a good stove we use one in our shop, I like the big hopper but the heat exchanger could use more tubes. I am going to fix it someday I love to weld.
    John
  8. snikr

snikr Member

Loc:
    Wallingford, VT
    Too cold to shut it down right now. I think we'll get another one and weld up the old one for a spare. Thanks for all the input everyone.
  9. Bioburner

Bioburner Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    West central Mn
    Nothing matter with a spare if the prices are right.
  10. Tony K

Tony K Member

Loc:
    Northeast Ct
    Def seems like a good deal. Just curious for those of you who have purchased one of these if it's made from the same size plate (thickness) as the original? Thanks
  11. snikr

snikr Member

Loc:
    Wallingford, VT
    Good question Tony K. I would like to know the answer as well and have they worked good.
  12. snikr

snikr Member

Loc:
    Wallingford, VT
    I ordered a burn pot from the Ebay link flybmw02 left me above. I'll let everyone know how it fits and works when it gets here.
  13. Tony K

Tony K Member

Loc:
    Northeast Ct
    I did go to Ebay and found several of these offered within a few dollars of one another. Bought one from Mr. Pellethead for $63 plus. Got it quick and looks good. Plan is to swap out every 4 or 5 days so I don't have to keep my stove shut down for so long while cleaning. Good deal.
  14. snikr

snikr Member

Loc:
    Wallingford, VT
    Got the burnpot from Ebay (kozyfred) and it works fine. Good thing as it's COLD here in VT, like ZERO or below. Going to get the old one welded for a spare.