Big E Convection motor or control board?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony K

Jan 11, 2009
Northeast Ct
When starting my Big E on setting #3 you can hear the convection blower motor changing speeds during the startup cycle, by changing speeds I mean you can hear the motor whinning so to speak going high then low with being able to feel the air coming out then not. Once the startup cycle is finished it seems to run smoother. Is this something I should be concerned about? I did replace the blower motor last year.

Thanks

Hey Tony.

Seems very similar to my BigE issues the Dealer repaired for me last fall. Mine started out that way and then it went to the motor surging during the run cycle. Lastly it started and then the board would go blank! Everything stopped. Whatever pellets were left would smolder and smoke out the house. I thought it was a power failure causing the smoking.

Diagnosed as a bad board. When we took out the board there was a bulging capacitor on the board. I had a new board in the stove by the end of the day.

This may not be the same, But mine did start that way. So as buildingmaint said, Try to get a hold of Eric.(he's been to busy to browse the forums lately).

Hope it all goes well.
jay

Thanks, going to let it run overnight to see what happens but in the mean time hoping eric sees the post!

have a good night!

Jay, haven't had the stove on much. It seems to be running ok just at startup you can hear the motor changing speeds somewhat. I am just going to run it and see what happens. Ran it over night back a bit and everything seemed fine. Thanks for asking. Get any snow? been snowing here all afternoon but not amounting to anything.

Tony

Jay,

maybe if we get enough of snow we won't have to rake the leaves this year! surrounded by woods and the leaves for the most part are still on the trees.

Tony

jtakeman said:
Tony, That would be the only good part about this weather. jay
NO! there is NOTHING good about this weather....PERIOD! I can't freakin believe it's snowin on Oct. 15th!!!!

I am NOT happy!! >:-(

EDIT: Ok, OK, I've calmed down.......

but there's still nothing good about it.

I saw that on TV. Yikes !
Last year in NJ we had a snow storm (2 inches) in early Nov. Like the first week.
Leaves were still on the trees and branches and trees went down everywhere.
Our area was out for about 9 hours, the power surge toasted a transformer for a Netgear external drive and blew the 50 amp fuse
on our jacuzzi. Glad it only blew the fuse, no other damage.
Just started my Whitfield again, rain for the next 4 days and 40 degrees.

I got about 2 inches on the lawn and vehicles overall. Driveway and steps stayed clear(whew!). A little farther north was sticking to everthing including the roads.

How about you guys? who's the weather were you are at?? :question:

jay

Status
Not open for further replies.