Big-E first burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snikr

Sep 14, 2008
Wallingford, VT
Well I finally got my Big-E installed and burning. I know I need a photo to prove it but I don't have time right now. Tomorrow if all goes well. I think this stove is going to be just what I need to replace my OLD woodstove. One question however. My manual says to "stir the pot" once a day. What should I use to stir it and can you stir it without shutting it off (like just open the door)? And yes I am NEW to the Big-E. Bring on the cold!

Tom

My Magnum stove came with a metal poker thingy. I just open the door and stir it around a bit just for the fun of it.
My neighbor has one of those big E's and I swear he is gonna melt the siding of his house. They definitely do the job!

snikr said:
.... What should I use to stir it and can you stir it without shutting it off (like just open the door)?
Tom

yep, can be stirred w/o shutting stove off, but be quick. Use an old long bladed regular screwdriver.

My stove came with a rake /hoe looking thing, with a hole in the handle for the heat exchange tube scraper.

buildingmaint said:
My stove came with a rake /hoe looking thing, with a hole in the handle for the heat exchange tube scraper.

I agree, I think that is what it was made for and worked perfect. Check photo. Don't know what they called it.

Jay

Attachments

• BigE tool.jpg
    BigE tool.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 275
jtakeman said:
buildingmaint said:

I agree, I think that is what it was made for and worked perfect. Check photo. Don't know what they called it.

Jay
I have that tool. Just wasn't sure it would fit in the burn pot and didn't want to spend too much time with the door open. You guys are good. I know I'll have more questions as I get used to the Big-E.

Tom

If the stove shuts off while you have the door open, close the door when you are done and then press and hold the on/off button and it will fire right back up.

Well here is photo from yesterdays first burn of my Big-E. I'm still figuring things out but it seems to do all I need it to do. Got to figure out how to blow heat upstairs (my Big-E is installed in my basement) by hooking on to my old duct system I used on my woodstove. And the old woodstove did heat my small house!

PA130109.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.