Big E Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dodge

Nov 22, 2008
Eastern Pa.
What does the perfect burn pot look like for a big e? Should you be able to see the air holes? I tried to give it as much air as the fire can take, but still it fills up. This has been going on since Nov. My last day off I installed an oak and cleaned the unit as recommended for a ton of lignetic pellets, including using the leaf blower trick. The pellet rate is at low. I burn the stove on level 3 and I am burning about 2 bags a day. My vent is 3" with an evl of 14'. My dealer arrainged to have the stove installed and they don't have any answers. My family is already getting sick of the wood smell from me stirring the pot. I am about at my wits end. I thought I did my homework on this stove, I was told the only problems was with the dirty glass, I wish that was my only problem. Help.

I use the damper to control the flame to create a flame that looks like a big deer antler rack, if you can see that in your mind.

I can not really see the holes in the bottom of the burn pot at #3, but can see a few at #2.

I open the door to stir the pot twice a day, usually for about 5-10 seconds each.

Shut it down to clean out the ash pan, burn pot, and the part that the burn pot sits in once per week.

Every other week I shut it down to clean out behind behind the two doors in the back at the bottom.

Every two tons I will take the blowers out and clean them up.

Thanks trav, I take it you have a big E? What size exhaust vent do you have. Does your burnpot ever overfill?

How much of the exhaust pipe is in the house and how much is outside?

If you have a long run outside you may want to convert to 4" vent on the exterior. I run on 3-4 all the time and my damper is out maybe 3/8 - 1/2" max. I have a 3" exhaust inside and a 4" on the exterior. I also have an outside air kit installed - see pics

Attachments

• living-room-air-intake.jpg
    living-room-air-intake.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 219
  • living-room-outside1.jpg
    living-room-outside1.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 210
Yes I have the Big E and love it.

I have started our LP furnace twice this year, both times just before a very cold snap to insure it still works in case I needed to use it. Have yet to run it over a total of 30 mins this winter.

I just went upstairs and dumped out the burn pot, set the stove at #2 and let it get running. Never really took the time to look, but I can not see the holes on the bottom.

My pot has never overflowed. I am guessing that if your have that probem, you damper is closed down to much. Do you ever have chunks of unburned pellets? If so, open the damper.

Damper control is an art, not a science.

I have 3" corn stove piping, with a very short run.

The stove in in my basement. I have a T and then a 48" vertical, a 90 (inside) and a 24" horizontal outside. i figure that to an evl of 14'. I just installed an oak on monday. Also how many bags are you burning on 2 or 3 ?

On setting #2, one bag per day

Setting #3 is two bags

Never have used 4 or 5, even when it got to -25, but I have my on the mail floor and it heats that and the upstairs. Currently using ventless LP wall unit for basement. Will add a small stove next summer for basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.