Big E Models and Pricing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r.ludvigson

Jan 29, 2009
Central Massachusetts
Hi Everyone,

I am in the market for a Big E, and notice I can get two models; once has a large glass door with and ashpan and the other has the large glass door but with no ashpan. My costs would be as follows:

Large Door, no ashpan = $1,250 (ruralking.com delivered)

Large Door, w/ashpan = $1699 (plus 5% sales tax froma local dealer)

Is the ashpan really worth an extra $450 ? I tend to think it is not, but does the security of buying from a local dealer make up for it?

Let me know what you think so I can make the best decision possible.

r.ludvigson said:
Hi Everyone,

I am in the market for a Big E, and notice I can get two models; once has a large glass door with and ashpan and the other has the large glass door but with no ashpan. My costs would be as follows:

Large Door, no ashpan = $1,250 (ruralking.com delivered)

Large Door, w/ashpan = $1699 (plus 5% sales tax froma local dealer)

Is the ashpan really worth an extra $450 ? I tend to think it is not, but does the security of buying from a local dealer make up for it?

Let me know what you think so I can make the best decision possible.

My 2 cents

It's hard to compare prices from local to internet. If your local dealer is on the up and up, Your gonna get better service than the internet. If the stove needs warranty work, That local guy is just that local.

Now I'm not knocking ruralking. They maybe fine to deal with. But you might see some down time waiting for replacement parts. Be prepaired to be your own stove tech too!

From what I've seen ruralking is basically a bigbox store. I think they are closing out there stoves to make room for other things. That stove should be more come fall. Same as lowes with the englander stoves. There 50% off now.

Ask the local guy the price differance. I don't think its much more for the ash pan. It will save you some sweeping and vacuuming time. You will still need to vacuum with or without the ash pan. The ash pan does not collect 100% of the ash. Might wait a bit. The local stove guy may sell you a left over come late summer or fall. You could save some there???

have a good one!
jay

The large window with the ashpan in my opinion is well worth the extra money. Cleaning is a lot easier with the ashpan though it is not essential. Dealing with a dealer that is nearby is also important as you will have a lot of questions and as long as the dealer is a reputable dealer it is important. Hope this helps.

1/2 hour everyweek for weekly cleaning, 1 hour a month major cleaning . From what

I have read you still have to shut down the stove weekly for cleaning with the ash pan.

Not worth $ 450.00 to me , that 2-3 tons of pellets give or take . Pellet stoves are not

a fire and forget stove , they need weekly /biweekly cleaning to operate correctly.

Keep her clean , it will run a lot better then if you don't clean . I have no ash pan

and the small window BIG E .

SERVICE is the most important thing. If you can rely on the internet seller to come out and fix your stove when it breaks you should buy from them. If they won't come out for service buy from a dealer who will.

Saw a large door Breckwell with ashpan today at my local farm store for $1199.00....

Status
Not open for further replies.