Big E noisy fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stallau

May 17, 2009
Southern ME
My stove started making a wonderful sound tonight which I believe is the circulator fan since it's louder on the control panel side of the stove so I have a couple questions.

1) Can you oil the fan or when it's toast it needs to go??

2) Any danger of running the stove until I get a new one if it needs to be replaced??

It is loud but since my stove is in the cellar the noise is there but not too bad.

Thanks for the help

oh one more - How hard is it to change it out?

Depending on the year of the motor installed you might be able to lube it. But even if there isn't oil ports you can get some oil in them to extend there life. Long enough to get a new motor shipped to you anyway.

The only danger if it quits you over heat the stove. It will hit the high limit switch and cut the power to it. You have to crawl in and hit the red button in the center to reset the limit switch. Don't try to run it if the motor stops all together. Better to leave it until you get a new one.

Its a bit ackward to change but not really hard at all.

I have info on an aftermarket complete blower thats much cheaper than the Breckwell replacements. I'll post the info if you want?

My stove is about 3 years old so out of warranty but still working well. I would be interested in part info you have so please send or post it.

Thanks again

buildingmaint said:
j-takeman said:
http://www.cshincorporated.com/product_info.php/products_id/4053

or

http://www.cshincorporated.com/product_info.php/products_id/1654

Both work just fine and are bolt ins. No mod's required to fit.

If you just want to change the motor itself. This is the cross to the OEM motor.

http://www.cshincorporated.com/product_info.php/products_id/7336

Are these motors quieter then Breckwell's original motors ?

The latest and greatest from Breckwell uses a Jakel motor(looks just like the conbustion motor only). That will be the quietest you could buy. The listed motors are exact replacements for the original up to the 2009 stoves. So if your looking for the quitest money can buy. Eric will hook you up!

Reactions: Ssyko
STallau said:
Fan arrived today and it was easier to replace than I thought it would be.

Furnace can now be turned off again.

THanks for the help

How is the noise level compared to the original?

The replacement will have oil ports. So be sure to lube it every 6 months and it will outlast the OEM stuff. Love a good ending!

New fan is definitely quieter even when the stove was new - especially when compared to the dead one.

J-Takeman - Where are the oil ports and what kind of oil would I use? I will say the price is certainly better at about $85 shipped versus about $200 before shipping from OEM. That translates into about 1/2 ton of heating.

There here on a fasco motor. A.O.Smith is on the end caps of the motor. I'll have to dig up a picture of them.

Attachments

• blower lube.jpg
    blower lube.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 179
Status
Not open for further replies.