1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Big E pellet, creosote, or flue setting problem? Not sure - need veteran owners advice

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by treehackers, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treehackers

treehackers Member

Loc:
    South Central MA
    Running a new Big E on setting 3 with the damper around 3/4" open, outside air kit is installed. I'm getting what seems to me a lot of pellets missing their target in the burn pot thus bouncing off to the sides ( a good handful total ). After a few hours, all the pellets that missed the burn pot flared up which created a fire in the whole ash pan. I quickly powered off the stove and let all the fuel burn.

Is this normal or a concern?

Is my problem ????? Flue setting?? Bad pellets (LG)??

Little scary if you ask me.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. buildingmaint

buildingmaint Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Oil City PA
    Happened to me once, totally clogged up the heat exchange tubes with a kinda gooy mess .Had to clean the blowers burn chamber what a mess . There is a thread about it some where in here. Try searching Breckwell cresote build up or something like that , I think it happened about Feb of 07. Any way you can adjust the burn pot by turning the screw under the box . I think it tilts it up or down .
  3. buildingmaint

Loc:
    Oil City PA
    Went back to read my thread , and we figured that it was because the burn pot was not seated correctly . It is on page 7 of all my posts page .
  4. treehackers

treehackers Member

Loc:
    South Central MA
    Thanks - the burn pot screw was the first thing I adjusted. I will check the burn pot seating, try to re-adjust and re-light Monday night.

FYI - 2 Big Es installed - 1 in the basement & 1 in the living room
  5. buildingmaint

Loc:
    Oil City PA
    WOW 2 Big E's . Is your bsaement finished ? How many pellets did you buy or think you will need to feed both stoves ?
  6. treehackers

treehackers Member

Loc:
    South Central MA
    Just bought the house a few months ago, basement is not finished...yet. I plan on only running the basement stove while I am down there working on projects or really extreme cold. I purchased 4.5 tons of LG pellets and 1 pallet of envi-blocks for the fireplace. I don't have any previous burn history with this stove or house so time will tell. Wish I had a fire right now - moving in 7 days!
  7. buildingmaint

Loc:
    Oil City PA
    I have heard that if you heat a uninsulated basement you will just be heating the tarafirma around your house . Nothing to keep the heat in the basement . I need about 16000-20000 BTU to heat my basement [700 SQFT ]. It is not totaly uninsulated , could be better insualated , bare concerte floor also robbs some heat .
  8. treehackers

treehackers Member

Loc:
    South Central MA
    Correct. That is why I will only use it mainly when I am working down there. Once the basement is finished it should totally heat the downstairs no problem
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.