Big E pellet, creosote, or flue setting problem? Not sure - need veteran owners advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

treehackers

Sep 25, 2008
South Central MA
Running a new Big E on setting 3 with the damper around 3/4" open, outside air kit is installed. I'm getting what seems to me a lot of pellets missing their target in the burn pot thus bouncing off to the sides ( a good handful total ). After a few hours, all the pellets that missed the burn pot flared up which created a fire in the whole ash pan. I quickly powered off the stove and let all the fuel burn.

Is this normal or a concern?

Is my problem ????? Flue setting?? Bad pellets (LG)??

Little scary if you ask me.

Happened to me once, totally clogged up the heat exchange tubes with a kinda gooy mess .Had to clean the blowers burn chamber what a mess . There is a thread about it some where in here. Try searching Breckwell cresote build up or something like that , I think it happened about Feb of 07. Any way you can adjust the burn pot by turning the screw under the box . I think it tilts it up or down .

Went back to read my thread , and we figured that it was because the burn pot was not seated correctly . It is on page 7 of all my posts page .

Thanks - the burn pot screw was the first thing I adjusted. I will check the burn pot seating, try to re-adjust and re-light Monday night.

FYI - 2 Big Es installed - 1 in the basement & 1 in the living room

WOW 2 Big E's . Is your bsaement finished ? How many pellets did you buy or think you will need to feed both stoves ?

Just bought the house a few months ago, basement is not finished...yet. I plan on only running the basement stove while I am down there working on projects or really extreme cold. I purchased 4.5 tons of LG pellets and 1 pallet of envi-blocks for the fireplace. I don't have any previous burn history with this stove or house so time will tell. Wish I had a fire right now - moving in 7 days!

I have heard that if you heat a uninsulated basement you will just be heating the tarafirma around your house . Nothing to keep the heat in the basement . I need about 16000-20000 BTU to heat my basement [700 SQFT ]. It is not totaly uninsulated , could be better insualated , bare concerte floor also robbs some heat .

Correct. That is why I will only use it mainly when I am working down there. Once the basement is finished it should totally heat the downstairs no problem

Status
Not open for further replies.