Big E Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Himhall

Jan 12, 2008
NE US
I purchased a Big E about a year ago. This is its second season of use.

My problem is that the stove will not turn on at all. If I unplug it, then plug it back in, the circulating fan will kick on for about a sec, then shut right off. I have bypassed all the snap switches to see if one of them was the problem. When I jumped the wires connected to the snap switch on the combustion blower, the stove will come on and burn for about 15 min. Then the auger will stop feeding pellets and both fans continue running.

Can anyone lend me a hand?

without the low limit switched bypassed what Feed light flashes when the stove shuts back off?
your owners manual tell you what the broblem might be by looking at what lite flashes when it faults out.

more than likely it is the Pressure/vacuum switch tripped
On the new digital boards it goes into a Test cycle when you start it.
it if dont read pressure it shuts right back off in a few seconds
Or if you have the door or ash pan open.

<snip from owners manual>
STOVE SHUTS OFF AND THE # 2 LIGHT FLASHES

Possible Causes: Possible Remedies: (Unplug stove first when possible)
1. Airflow switch hose or stove attachment pipes for hose are
blocked.
Unhook air hose from the air switch and blow through it. If air flows
freely, the hose and tube are fine. If air will not flow throw the hose,
use a wire coat hanger to clear the blockage.

2. The air inlet, burnpot, interior combustion air chambers,
combustion blower, or exhaust pipe are blocked with ash or
foreign material.
Follow all cleaning procedures in the maintenance section of the
owner’s manual.

3. The firebox is not properly sealed.
Make sure the door is closed and that the gasket is in good shape.
If the ash door has a latch, make sure the ash door is properly
latched and the gasket is sealing good. If the stove has just a small
hole for the ashes to fall through under the burnpot, make sure the
slider plate is in place to seal off the firebox floor.

4. Vent pipe is incorrectly installed.
Check to make sure vent pipe installation meets criteria in owner’s
manual.

5. The airflow switch wire connections are bad.
Check the connectors that attach the gray wires to the air switch.

6. The gray wires are pulled loose at the Molex connector on the
wiring harness.
Check to see if the gray wires are loose at the Molex connector.

7. Combustion blower failure.
With the stove on, check to see if the combustion blower is running.
If it is not, you will need to check for power going to the combustion
blower. It should be a full current. If there is power, the blower is
bad. If there is not, see #8.

8. Control board not sending power to combustion blower.
If there is no current going to the combustion blower, check all wire
connections. If all wires are properly connected, you have a bad
control board.

9. Control board not sending power to air switch.
There should be a 5-volt current (approximately) going to the air
switch after the stove has been on for 30 seconds.

10. Air switch has failed (very rare).
To test the air switch, you will need to disconnect the air hose from
the body of the stove. With the other end still attached to the air
switch, very gently suck on the loose end of the hose (you may want
to remove the hose entirely off the stove and the air switch first and
make sure it is clear). If you hear a click, the air switch is working.
BE CAREFUL TOO MUCH VACUUM CAN DAMAGE THE AIR
SWITCH.

Thanks, but I dont think you understand. Without bypassing the combustion fan snap switch, I have no start up, no lights, no nothing, its like it doesnt have power at all. When I unplug the unit and then plug it back in, I notice the unit gets enough power for a split second, enough to make the blower fan move the squirrel cage on the circulation fan.

Even when the snap switch is by passed, after it runs 15 min, it stops feeding pellets, but both fans continue to run. No lights flashing or showing at this time either.

I have gone through the manual. There is no senario for my situation, thats why I have asked here in this forum. Your help is appreciated.

The low limit switch will not shut the stove off at start up
The control board gives power to the combustion blower for the first 15 minutes then the Prof of fire low limit switch takes over If it reaches 120 deg and closes.

have limited Hands on experiences with the Breckwell ACE board
but I have lots of experience with the Enviro ACE board (same board Manufacture) and know for a fact that on the enviro board the stove goes into a 10 second Check system start up mode. If the board does not read power through the Pressure/vacuum switch it will shut down and the # 2 feed lite will be flashing.
See # 9 in the above post.
If you have Tried blowing out the Vacuum hose and know for sure the pressure switch has not tripped.

Ok I went back and read the manual

Do you have any lights at all on the board?
have you check and or replaced the fuse?

Did you try jumping or reseting if it is a Manual reset the HI limit switch?

Also check the thermostat mode selector or jumpers at the back are were they belong
if you are not using a stat make sure the jumpers are in the thermostat terminal block.
I have had on the Pre Thermostat mode selector switch style board
My service guys sucked the jumper off the back of the board with the vacuum cleaning
and board would not turn on the stove.

If you have jumped every limit switch and Vacuum switch and sure the fuse is good
then you may have a bad 401 control board.
I due believe we have them in stock

If the control board is bad, why would the stove operate normally for 15 min when the low limit switch is jumped??

Himhall said:
If the control board is bad, why would the stove operate normally for 15 min when the low limit switch is jumped??
I dont know
The control board is the last thing I would replace but not rule it out.

The low limit is NOT the problem
After the 15 minutes the auger stops working right.

The only way we can help you is if you answers some of our questions so we stop asking you what you have done.

Did this just start happening all at once? Or was it after a cleaning?
or someone screwing around with the stove and this started happening.

what mode are you running it at?
Thermostat
Hi Low
ON OFF

Manual mode with no thermostat.

Check the Vacuum line and or jumped the wires to the vacuum switch?

Have you done the annual service on the stove?
Clean Venting?
Pull blowers BOTH and clean?
Clean all ash traps?

Jumped the HI limit switch?

next step would be to call your dealer
If your stove is ONLY a year old you might have a chance with warantee.
If you bought this on line? GOOD LUCK.

Call Breckwell directly.
They are going to ask you the same questions above.

Would you like to share in case anyone else ever has the same problem?

Himhall said:
Thanks for everything, I found the problem.

and the problem was?

jtp10181 said:
Would you like to share in case anyone else ever has the same problem?

lol Jtp
we posted at the exact same time

I would like to know what you found was wrong so we can help others with the same problem in the future

Well............it would be embarrising to say, but lets just say it was as simple as the switch on the top of the board..........need I say more? <lol>

Later all and thanks agian!

Himhall said:
Well............it would be embarrising to say, but lets just say it was as simple as the switch on the top of the board..........need I say more? <lol>

ah yes....the "ole" maybe if I plug it in it might work routine lol...I think we all have at least done somethinglike that once.....some maybe twice lol

Himhall said:

I figured that
and that is why I asked about what mode you are running it in.

I have Chewed out Enviro (they use the same style board as breckwell) for putting that switch on the face of the board for it will cause a lot of Nuisance service calls for nothing.

hearthtools said:
Himhall said:

I figured that
and that is why I asked about what mode you are running it in.

I have Chewed out Enviro (they use the same style board as breckwell) for putting that switch on the face of the board for it will cause a lot of Nuisance service calls for nothing.

What switch are we talking about??? I have a Big E.

John

The top switch on mine is the ON / OFF -- HIGH / LOW--and MANUAL . When I tried to run mine on High / Low ---On/ Off without a external stat it would only run on # 1 would not go any higher. I have never tried to run it on Manual with my stat , but I can turn my stat off .

buildingmaint said:
The top switch on mine is the ON / OFF -- HIGH / LOW--and MANUAL . When I tried to run mine on High / Low ---On/ Off without a external stat it would only run on # 1 would not go any higher. I have never tried to run it on Manual with my stat , but I can turn my stat off .

That is the switch
they might NOT have a stat connected to it and had the Mode switch over to the ON and OFF mode.
when they push the start button nothing is going to happen because the Thermostat wires are NOT jumped together for a closed cercuit. If you are not going to have a thermostat it is a good idea to put a jumper on the thermostat connector so if the stove get moved over it will still work.

NOT jumped together for a closed cercuit. If you are not going to have a thermostat it is a good idea to put a jumper on the thermostat connector so if the stove get moved over it will still work.[/quote]

What do you mean"Moved over"??

johnnywarm said:
NOT jumped together for a closed cercuit. If you are not going to have a thermostat it is a good idea to put a jumper on the thermostat connector so if the stove get moved over it will still work.

What do you mean"Moved over"??[/quote]
Sorry
Im paying bills and replying back to people at the same time.

The switch moved over from Manual mode to Thermostat mode.

hearthtools said:
johnnywarm said:
NOT jumped together for a closed cercuit. If you are not going to have a thermostat it is a good idea to put a jumper on the thermostat connector so if the stove get moved over it will still work.

What do you mean"Moved over"??
Sorry
Im paying bills and replying back to people at the same time.

The switch moved over from Manual mode to Thermostat mode.[/quote]

Thanks. Just toss the bill in the trash. it works for me.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.