Big E Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewChurchill

Minister of Fire
Mar 31, 2008
Vermont
I took a look at a Big E this weekend and I see it drops the pellets from the top into the burn pot. I noticed there was about a 1/4" gap around the burn pot and the ash pan.

My question is how does the ash get out of the burn pot and into the ash pan? I understand how it happens with the Harman's since the new pellets push the ash out of the way and into the ash pan, but with the Big E new pellets are dropped onto the burning pellets and ash.

Thanks,
Andy

Most of the ash collects in the area [ AHS PAN ] around the burn pot , not actually in the pot. I have had mine for three years and have never had a lot of ash in the burn pot . I do get a lot of clinkers when the stove burns a lot on a low setting.

buildingmaint said:
Most of the ash collects in the area [ AHS PAN ] around the burn pot , not actually in the pot. I have had mine for three years and have never had a lot of ash in the burn pot . I do get a lot of clinkers when the stove burns a lot on a low setting.

Same here.

JW

compressedwoodsupplier said:
The clinkers will come from the pellet you use. Not the setting you have the stove

How do you know a pellet is good to burn by looking at it?? is there a way to tell if its a good pellet that burns hot or a bad pellet no heat clinkers??

honestly you cant tell by looking at them it all hsa to do with the moisture in the pellet. i have burned the pellets from like home depot and have always had big clinkers and the pellets i have now from maine woods pellets i have not seen 1 clinker

I heard that clinkers come from reburning and reburning pellet ash at a low temp. I don't get clinkers when my stove is really cooking. Only when the weather is not real cold and not real warm, and the stove runs on the lowest setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.