Big E shuts down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony K

Jan 11, 2009
Northeast Ct
My Big E will shut down with the number 2 light blinking every 2 or 3 days (sometimes weeks) for no reason. This year I replaced the door and ash pan gaskets. I clean the stove every 4 days or when needed including the leaf blower trick. I cleaned the stove last night and this morning it was off again. I have not been able to be there right when it shuts down to notice anything that may be causing it. The burnpot was not clogged this morning. The air tube to the air switch is clean. When the stove does shut down I will turn it back on without doing aything and it will run again for days! Combustion motor is working. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tony, Mine did this a while back. I can't remember which light it was but I changed the "Proof Of Fire Switch". The one on the combustion blower side. Fixed it right away. Cheap part too.

Do you have an OAK?
Might be wind causing back pressure (if #2 light means loss of airflow/vacuum).

No OAK yet...Stove is in basement. I did just buy vent pipe to make one up this weekend. Bought the vent pipe from McMasterCarr 10ft so I can temporarily make something up to go thru window area before putting another hole in the house. Want to see if it makes a difference. I have had a bad proof of fire switch in the past I would wiggle it and the stove would want to work but this isnt the case this time. I am guessing as well it could be loss of pressure but havent been able to figure out where. They claim the pressure switch doesnt go bad? Thanks

Is it possible to bypass the POF switch temporarily to see if stove will keep running?

I seem to have the same issue every once in a while. Thought it was pellet bridging and the #3 light blinking but have noticed lately that if I just hit the on/off button again it will fire right up without doing anything else. Most of the time when it happens the burn pot is empty. Only twice has it been full of unburned pellets. I'll have to check which light is on next time it happens. No oak and about a 24" horizontal exhaust straight through the wall. I am never there when it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.