Big E Sporadic Auger Stoppage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure you can just connect the wires together. The convection blower will start right away. I use a thin film of hi temp silicon when I change the POF disc.

I appreciate all the help, guys. I'll bypass the POF disc and see what happens. If I don't have a toggle, can I just connect the wires together? Does that POF disc have any type of seal/gasket that I need to worry about? I'll also let the hopper run low and then give it a good cleanout. If that ceases to remedy the situation I have the new auger motor sitting on the work bench. If all else fails I'll get the board from jtakeman.

On a different note - hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. I have a funny story. Had a 24lb'er in the oven, put it in at about 1030am. Planning to eat at 4pm. 4pm comes along, I check the temp and its like 92 in the thigh. Figure i'll give it another hour and jack the oven to 350. 5pm comes around and its only at 98. Thought, wow, this is taking forever. Brother in law says, "are you sure that's not celsius..."

DOH.. my digital temp was in C mode and not F. Switched it over.... 200f.. TURKEYS DONE!~

Hey, remember few days ago I was having same issue with Enviro FI. After jumping everything out still had the proble. Sprung
$$ for a new mother/daughter board. Installed last night. BINGO - all is fine and the cold weather front is coming in.

Pain that a board goes out after 4 years, but computers do also.

Update, installed new Controller with rev CE-402, stove back to normal, it seems these controllers are losing auger feed output after running for a bit. Micro-controller needs a re-flash!!

Thanks Jtakeman for supplying the board!

Mine just started doing it again very frequently. At least once or twice a day. Figures it would do it when it's 5 degrees outside. At least I have an electric unit as a backup hanging from the ceiling that won't let it get too cold until I get home to restart it. Maybe I still need the new controller. Where did you get yours?

Update, installed new Controller with rev CE-402, stove back to normal, it seems these controllers are losing auger feed output after running for a bit. Micro-controller needs a re-flash!!

Thanks Jtakeman for supplying the board!

Mine just started doing it again very frequently. At least once or twice a day. Figures it would do it when it's 5 degrees outside. At least I have an electric unit as a backup hanging from the ceiling that won't let it get too cold until I get home to restart it. Maybe I still need the new controller. Where did you get yours?

Jtakeman had a spare fo sale, it has the same rev as yours. CE-403. My board was CE-402 and was not modified like the 402 rev. They did some mods on the 403 rev boards it seems with jumpers - some resistors missing and looks like a pull up resistor circuit next to a triac. My stove has a circuit board production date of 0620 which probably means the 20 th week of 2006, that's when the circuit board was made, doesn't mean much, my stove is like new again, it ran all night and its 4 degrees here in Boston, for the last 3 months we have had to press and hold the pwr button all the time 5 times a day. To everyone else it is the controller and nothing else. The board just stops cold turkey sending an auger output but will work fine again when I press and hold power button again, I have watched this happen dozens of times in the last 3 months. It's going to be a statistical failure I am guessing on with other board owners. A reflash of the micro or a new micro could be the solution.

Unfortunately jtakeman sold his so I am still looking.

I took a look at the microcontroller on my bad board, its a Phillps 8 bit 80C51 P87C52X2BBD 44 pin PLCC micro, going to look into programming it, my work has a clean room with all kinds of goodies to read and write to these things, the only problem here on these boards is they are epoxy coated and dont have Jtag or programming pads on the board, most companies flash the chip on the board after it is soldered in place, these micros look like they were preprogrammed and wave soldered on and then epoxy coated. So epoxy needs to be removed to unsolder and or add a PLCC test clip to the chip. A lot of this is software locked to protect the source code, don't know if these are, someone mentioned these are ACE made boards in other forums so it could be a throw away type thing or ACE may sell you a preprogrammed micro if possible to solder on again, the 4 screws holding the board to plate are coated with loctite so be careful unscrewing them if you separate the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.