Big-E thermostat question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snikr

Sep 14, 2008
Wallingford, VT
I'm thinking of hooking up a thermostat to my Big-E and am wondering if I have to get a special one? Just thinking of a simple thermostat hookup. So what do you Big-E users say?

Tom

snikr said:
I'm thinking of hooking up a thermostat to my Big-E and am wondering if I have to get a special one? Just thinking of a simple thermostat hookup. So what do you Big-E users say?

Tom

The bigE uses a millivolt thermostat. Not a 120v a/c.

You can find them at most big box and Hardware stores. They will have millivolt right on the boxes.

I have a 1970's forced air gas furnaces and the stat on it is a 24 volt, when did they go back to using line voltage stats , in modern residential type furnaces ?

buildingmaint said:
I have a 1970's forced air gas furnaces and the stat on it is a 24 volt, when did they go back to using line voltage stats ?
I think Jays point was to use a thermostat that is millavolt or 24 volt.

buildingmaint said:
I have a 1970's forced air gas furnaces and the stat on it is a 24 volt, when did they go back to using line voltage stats , in modern residential type furnaces ?

They don't. It was hard to read. I said NOT 120V. I put it in red. Sorry it was confusing.

jtakeman said:
buildingmaint said:

They don't. It was hard to read. I said NOT 120V. I put it in red. Sorry it was confusing.

LOL at jay
a 120 volt thermostat is a line voltage thermostat.

hearthtools said:
jtakeman said:
buildingmaint said:

LOL at jay
a 120 volt thermostat is a line voltage thermostat.

Aw shucks :lol:

I posted after you fixed me up too! Double shucks

Thanks for the help guys. Now the big question. How hard is it to hook up to the Big-E? Just wondering as if it is hard to do I'll wait till the stove is shut down for the summer. TIA

Tom

Just get all the wire run and the stat mounted where you want it first. When you are ready shut the stove down and unplug it. Remove the four (4) screws that hold the control panel on the side cover. Or remove the whole side cover and install the 2 wires to the green block with the 2 recessed screws. Reasemble stove and plug it in. Your done!

By the way I would get the programmable one. There great for busy life styles.

Status
Not open for further replies.