Big E whistling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maineteech

Hearth Supporter
Nov 22, 2008
Maine
Hey folks, I know I've seen postings similar to the one I'm going to make, so forgive me for starting a new thread to find a solution to an old problem. A couple of days ago, a high-pitched sound began coming from my stove. It almost sounds like a whistling noise. I removed the right side panel from my stove (as you face the front), and put my ear next to the combustion blower. The noise seems to be coming from the motor on the combustion blower. At this point, this piercing sound has taken over my life. Any suggestions you have that might help me remedy this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you might have a blocked airway. Have you shut down and done a thorough vac? If there's anyway possible, I'll bet the leafblower suction cleaning would clean out whatever is in there causing the whistle.
That's the only idea I can come up with.

I forgot to put this in my earlier post. I removed the blower motor yesterday and cleaned it, using the advice that Eric gave in an earlier post. I believe the link you sent to this post is the same one I looked at earlier, Eric. I thought I did a pretty thorough cleaning, but I will do another one tonight as soon as I get home from work. The whistling/squealing noise seems to come directly from the motor itself. I have read other posts that say everything from "replace the motor" to "lube the motor." I was just wondering if replacing or lubing would be my options if the cleaning I do tonight won't suffice.

maineteech said:
I forgot to put this in my earlier post. I removed the blower motor yesterday and cleaned it, using the advice that Eric gave in an earlier post. I believe the link you sent to this post is the same one I looked at earlier, Eric. I thought I did a pretty thorough cleaning, but I will do another one tonight as soon as I get home from work. The whistling/squealing noise seems to come directly from the motor itself. I have read other posts that say everything from "replace the motor" to "lube the motor." I was just wondering if replacing or lubing would be my options if the cleaning I do tonight won't suffice.

Once a bearing goes bad there is no rehab for it. Kinda like crack-cocaine.

Eric

I think I'll play it safe and replace the motor. The noise isn't overwhelming, but I am very picky about such things, and this will drive me nuts until I can get it to stop completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.