Big East Coast Storm? - Yet Again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl1nh

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Newfields NH
Long range forecasting is always iffy. I love listening to the chatter and hints of things to come. Last week I mentioned models suggesting possibilities for the end of this week, and as we start getting nearer, it is indeed looking more likely that there will be a big storm for the end of this week or early weekend on much of the East Coast. Not been a winter of snow for most of the big cities, and this one may not come through for the big cities either, but the potential is there. While some models are suggesting all snow in the big cities, the experience of this winter has been that that has not materialized. This might be different. Stay tuned to your local forecasts, 6-12" is not out of the realm of possibility for DC, Philly, New York, Boston, and this could be the type of storm that could push up to a couple of feet in select areas. Also will likely contain wind as well.

Well, it's 60+ degrees in DC right now, so snow is out of the question. Local weather-guessers are claiming 1-2 inches of rain is very likely, which is a good thing as most of the area is still considered to be abnormally dry by the US Drought Monitor. Local flooding possible.

caber said:
Well, it's 60+ degrees in DC right now, so snow is out of the question. Local weather-guessers are claiming 1-2 inches of rain is very likely, which is a good thing as most of the area is still considered to be abnormally dry by the US Drought Monitor. Local flooding possible.
You should be getting good rain today and tonight. By Friday it could be a different story. Not all the models yet agree, especially as far south as DC but a couple of them are actually hinting this Friday-Sat storm could be snow even in DC where it's 60 today. If not, you'll get some more much needed rain.

we could use some snow here in coastal nj didnt get much this year ill cross my fingers.....

I briefly caught the Weather Channel at lunch and the forecasters at the time were getting giddy and grinning at each other when talking about the "possibility" of a major east coast storm this weekend. The usual stuff of computers lining up, wait and see, more to come, etc, etc.. They placed particular emphasis on the potential for snow "farther south" and extending into the northeast, aka a good ol nor'easter it sounds like. The 93 Blizzard was the 2nd weekend in March too wasn't it?

Just caught local (SW VA) forecast and they said rain Friday and that's it. Who knows...

jpl1nh said:
Long range forecasting is always iffy. I love listening to the chatter and hints of things to come. Last week I mentioned models suggesting possibilities for the end of this week, and as we start getting nearer, it is indeed looking more likely that there will be a big storm for the end of this week or early weekend on much of the East Coast. Not been a winter of snow for most of the big cities, and this one may not come through for the big cities either, but the potential is there. While some models are suggesting all snow in the big cities, the experience of this winter has been that that has not materialized. This might be different. Stay tuned to your local forecasts, 6-12" is not out of the realm of possibility for DC, Philly, New York, Boston, and this could be the type of storm that could push up to a couple of feet in select areas. Also will likely contain wind as well.

GREAT!! I still haven't finished shoveling my roof from the last two storms!

Attachments

• IMGP0408.JPG
    IMGP0408.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 408
  • IMGP0405.JPG
    IMGP0405.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 403
Yep, my brethern in Eastern Canada are going to get "socked".. How sad...

Of course out here on the (wet coast) nothing but sunshine and 60f for the next 3 days. Horrible, horrible, but I will suffer thru it. :lol:

Good, you guys out East can have it all as far as I'm concerned. Over this way it looks like a couple more days of below zero low temps at the end of the week. Hope it's the last cold spell, I'm ready for Spring.

we won't get anything here the weather has shown several big storms but this years pattern has shown them to be to close to shore for the nyc-hartford to boston line along that line we have gotten snowto sleet to freezing rain to rain on just about every storm, when we did get snow most of the storms at some point had sleet which cut down our numbers....
now nh is almost at a record yr for snow and maine is doing quiete well to
we are showing snow to rain fri to sat

iceman said:
we won't get anything here the weather has shown several big storms but this years pattern has shown them to be to close to shore for the nyc-hartford to boston line along that line we have gotten snowto sleet to freezing rain to rain on just about every storm, when we did get snow most of the storms at some point had sleet which cut down our numbers....
And you raise my greatest fear for this storm, that the pattern that has come to typify this winter will win out. As much as I hate to admit it, and despite a reasonable possibilty that we could be wrong, I do believe that each winter tends to have a prevailing pattern and therefore!...I fear your right :down: Hope I'm wrong. After all, one more good storm and we here in northern New England will experience winter weather history!! all time snowfall records, (even though the snow "was always deeper when I was a kid") Ahh, but you know, if your a weather fan, hald the fun is in the possibilty! ;-)

jpl1nh said:
iceman said:
And you raise my greatest fear for this storm, that the pattern that has come to typify this winter will win out. As much as I hate to admit it, and despite a reasonable possibilty that we could be wrong, I do believe that each winter tends to have a prevailing pattern and therefore!...I fear your right :down: Hope I'm wrong. After all, one more good storm and we here in northern New England will experience winter weather history!! all time snowfall records, (even though the snow "was always deeper when I was a kid") Ahh, but you know, if your a weather fan, hald the fun is in the possibilty! ;-)

i don't wanna hear it! you guys got our snow this year! lol our paterrn sucks buck you guys have had it good with your near record snowfall!!!! please please lets us have one storm to ourselves! winter don't leave yet!!! please i wanna keep burning my summit!!!! lol
back to the topic... i think monday-tues might have something better as colder air is coming

Well , as a 60 yr old ct resident with a bent blade aluminum snow shovel, I,m hoping that it rains.
To old to ski any more, but i sure do miss killington, I used to love skiing up there.

now ,snow just means more work 4 me to do. Sold my snowmobile in 1976.

Sad to get old & have to give up my toys & my joys. powerboat,motorcycle,snowmobile, snow skiis,all gone. Even my fancy red car, Im almost to old to drive it the way it was built to be driven.8.300 red line.putting around at 30 mph (tac at 900 rpm)in a 200 mph car.
Just me,mom,the dog & the stove left.
And we all fall asleep in front of it.

Indeed looks like a doozy of a big east coast storm coming but it looks like its going to be lots of water all the way up through New England. Make sure the sump pumps are working! Just west of appalachian mountains may be the biggest snow storm in decades!

Looks like more heavy rain Sat.for us. Mayby a little sleet mixed in. They say we're about 6" above normal snow fall and 2* above on temps for the winter season. Course that's down in the flatland. Hilltowns are usually colder, have more snow and ice because of the elevation. And we loose an hour of sleep this week-end.

all rain here again gonna be out working in it all dam day, and just getting over the flu gonna be a tough day.....

my life sucks....another no-snow ...all rain and flooding

iceman said:
my life sucks....another no-snow ...all rain and flooding

Don't feel bad, Ice..... I'm a little NW of you, and it looks like there will probably be sleet mixed in, but no snow. The dirt roads will be like glass!!! I'd rather have snow, but given the other possibilities - I'd take the rain over sleet.

I'd rather have snow or rain but not a mixed bag, especially if that slushy mush freezes afterwards.
Nothing like a rutty mess in the driveway, especially if it snows enough on top of it to need the snowblower.

I'm a bit tired of all this rain.

Only had less than 6 inches twice this year.
Used the snowblower just to give me and it some exercise last time.
4 inches can be ignored with asphalt and some sun.

With apologies to Craig et. al.: this is the temperate zone. The climate is variable and following the Autumnal Solstice, there is cold, there is snow, there is ice. Take it easy folks, it is normal. We have it easy comapred to most of the other temperate world: vehicles, emergency care, communications, sources of plentiful food, well constructed homes, some ( sic) with wood heat that needs nothing but wood.
So, relax, enjoy the seasons. You could live in Orlando !

Only large amounts of rain here on the southern maine coast...inland more there is a winter storm warning for friday night though...

i have had so much rain mixed with cold my yard is starting to heev (sp)

downeast said:
With apologies to Craig et. al.: this is the temperate zone. The climate is variable and following the Autumnal Solstice, there is cold, there is snow, there is ice. Take it easy folks, it is normal. We have it easy comapred to most of the other temperate world: vehicles, emergency care, communications, sources of plentiful food, well constructed homes, some ( sic) with wood heat that needs nothing but wood.
So, relax, enjoy the seasons. You could live in Orlando !

Yeah, you said it-- Florida is a fate worse than death, as far as I'm concerned. But there's winter and then there's winter! We're not close to a record, but this winter has edged into the top 10 for snowfall, but it's all been 4, 6, 8 inches at a time, every week or so all winter. And interspersed with temps just warm enough to melt a little bit down and then freeze the remainder into ice, and then put a nice layer of slippery snow on top of the ice rink in the driveway. Arrgggh. Same pattern with this coming storm. I'm sick of it!

They are saying 2-3" of rain Sat. Think mud season. I guess we will be parking at the top of the driveway and walking in. NBC weather this am said rain but also mentioned heavy snow following but was not specific as to where. It ain't over yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.