Big Heat vs O'Malley's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EZsteve

Dec 26, 2010
Central Va
Both of these are new to my area.I have purchased two bags of each and plan on doing a test burn next week. Just thought I would see if anybody has opinion on them. I can get them both for 225/ton. Thanks for any Comments. IMG_20131210_181604_921.jpgIMG_20131210_181514_968.jpg

Both of these are new to my area.I have purchased two bags of each and plan on doing a test burn next week. Just thought I would see if anybody has opinion on them. I can get them both for 225/ton. Thanks for any Comments.View attachment 120113View attachment 120114
I have burned some O'Malley, they are a middle of the road pellet but very ashy. I have never seen the others. I would try more than 2 bags before making a big purchase.

Ive burned about 2 tons of omalleys back in 2009 and havent since. Ashy pellet, avg heat. 210/ton here.

I currently am burning 2 tons of O'Malley's. I've tried Stove Chow, Clean Energy, Cheat River, Presto-logs, Greene Team, AWF and Barefoot. Barefoot is by far the best. The O'Malleys are somewhere in the middle. I honestly think they put out pretty good heat, but as others have said, they are a bit ashy.

I was un-impressed with o'malleys. never heard of the other ones.

Have burned about 6 bags of Big Heat. They have given off good heat, about the same as Stove Chow gave me. Only negative is that there is quite a bit of fines and dust in some of the bags so if you have a top feeding stove be careful. I have learned to sift the last 1/5 of the bags now with a strainer. Have about 10-12bags left and I don't think I'll buy again just because of the added work and risk of jamming my auger.

Big Heats are recycled construction wood. After using two bags last year it looked like ghost busters slimed the inside of the stove...yuck

I cant tell the heat from a pellet as I have a boiler. I burned O Malleys last year and the only note I remember was they were the longest pellet I have used. I have burned vermonts, barefoots, summersets, north americans, stove chow, and the list goes on. The only pellet that actually boiled water in my boiler was "green supremes"!!!. I had to turn down the feed rate! the only pellet I had to do that with!! just saying;hm

Status
Not open for further replies.