Big ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lcback

Feeling the Heat
Feb 21, 2016
Pennsylvania
I came out to work on stacking some wood today and found these all over my pile of hickory and silver maple rounds.
From a far I thought there was swarming yellow jackets. Didn't play with any to see if they bite. 1319c564c9f9c8c2e0eebe26750d113c.jpgeebf4fff70c6c0a6f37ba76388b1e55b.jpg

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Well makes sense I saw them a week after I brought my first hickory in. Do I need to worry about them in my wood pile? Do they live in dead wood

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I've got the same bugs in the Hickory in my stacks. They make a mess, but they do leave eventually.

If you season your hickory long enough (2 years+) they should have long vacated the wood (completed their lifecycle) before you bring it inside.
Even so, not a big deal since they will only infest weakened, dying or recently cut wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.