Big Oak split dry time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Flatbedford said:
I'll give you TWO pounds of Oak for each pound of Salmon.

I see your two & raise you eight pounds.

Curious to see how this works out so i can try it but if i wait to see how it works before i try it that will be 8 years. and my son will be in third grade. haha. might just have to try it. i was just thinking of doing the same things with some chunks i have left over. not quite that big though.

My thought with the split size is I can put 3 of them on top of a bed of coals and smaller splits.

So, not a controlled experiment like some us around here run, but here is where I am with my control 9x9x21 or ~ 1 cu ft split.

Live healthy tree dropped and bucked mid August, split sometime around labor day, 1st and 2nd pics taken on 9/19, 3rd this morning. 7 pounds out of the 18 or so Sweep's charts say this split should lose by the time it is ready for the stove.

Attachments

• 091911 fresh oak on the scale.jpg
    091911 fresh oak on the scale.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 339
  • 091911 fresh oak on the scale2.jpg
    091911 fresh oak on the scale2.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 331
  • 111611 oak weigh in.jpg
    111611 oak weigh in.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 334
Backwoods Savage said:
Windy or not, that wood should have air space under it to assist on the drying.

I always like to keep wood off the ground so cats can nip under and get any rats that might take up residence, extra drying is a bonus ;-)

How long might those sized splits burn in a BK. Thanks

Well Solar I hope yours go well, and dries out these are my future overnighters, 21" L about 9" cut live tree Jan 2011, split stacked April 2011, like you said why not I have plenty of Oak. I do wish I would have weighed one and marked it.

Good Luck

Attachments

• SDC10332.jpg
    SDC10332.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 314
SolarAndWood said:
So, not a controlled experiment like some us around here run, but here is where I am with my control 9x9x21 or ~ 1 cu ft split.

Live healthy tree dropped and bucked mid August, split sometime around labor day, 1st and 2nd pics taken on 9/19, 3rd this morning. 7 pounds out of the 18 or so Sweep's charts say this split should lose by the time it is ready for the stove.

If you could get 4 of those beasts in your stove at the same time that would be 168 lbs when dry...that'd last a few minutes between reloads.

lukem said:
SolarAndWood said:

If you could get 4 of those beasts in your stove at the same time that would be 168 lbs when dry...that'd last a few minutes between reloads.

Wow that would be 42 lbs each, mine aren't that big, maybe 30lbs.when stacked, and I thought I went BIG. :lol:

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
Oh nothing a decade will not handle......That is an epa stove your running right? :cheese:

I'll take the under on that bet ;-) I'll see where I am after 3 years and decide whether to resplit it or not. Gonna need another 10 wire extension cord to get there though.

Sorry for the off topic question Solar but do you have a thread or any info on the electric splitter conversion, and how do you like it power and noise wise?

SolarAndWood said:
Flatbedford said:
Why so big?

People always seem to be willing to give away the lessers, but I rarely get my hands on the good stuff. So, my new strategy is to make 8x8 - 10x10s out of the good stuff when I get it and set it aside as a long term investment for some cold January in the future.

The rest of the stock dries for a couple years in the heap and goes straight to the burn shed.

Solar, I always like seeing the big piles of wood, the oak looks great.

zap

Flatbedford said:
Those are some HUGE splits. Why so big? Oak may never season that big.

I will guess--- The Quest For A Long A$$ed Burn

scotvl said:
Sorry for the off topic question Solar but do you have a thread or any info on the electric splitter conversion, and how do you like it power and noise wise?

Standard 16gpm Haldex 2 stage pump with a 220V 5hp motor off a rotted compressor. Replaced an old Wisconsin gas after reading a Ramsplitter review and couldn't be happier. It is hiding under the Little Tikes swing re-purposed as a motor cover.

Attachments

• 081711 split 2.jpg
    081711 split 2.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 381
SolarAndWood said:
scotvl said:

Standard 16gpm Haldex 2 stage pump with a 220V 5hp motor off a rotted compressor. Replaced an old Wisconsin gas after reading a Ramsplitter review and couldn't be happier. It is hiding under the Little Tikes swing re-purposed as a motor cover.

You gat a hydraulic lifter on that beast?
That's one big round! Serious BTUs in that one. :)

cptoneleg said:

Bingo. Nice coal bed, layer of 4-5 inch locust splits NS with 2 of these laid EW over the top. Not sure about 168 pounds, but should be able to do 120 pretty easy. 900,000 BTUs in a single load in the firebox.

bogydave said:
SolarAndWood said:
scotvl said:

You gat a hydraulic lifter on that beast?
That's one big round! Serious BTUs in that one. :)

I wish. That cherry round and whatever that other one is sitting next to the splitter are the "stairs" that I roll the big ones up. The big Oak rounds were 40" in diameter and 20-22" in length. Felt them the next day for sure.

[quote author="SolarAndWind]

Standard 16gpm Haldex 2 stage pump with a 220V 5hp motor off a rotted compressor. Replaced an old Wisconsin gas after reading a Ramsplitter review and couldn't be happier. It is hiding under the Little Tikes swing re-purposed as a motor cover.[/quote]

Thanks for the info, is a hydraulic pressure control switch needed also? If so where did you get yours. One last question, what rpm is the motor 1750 or 3400?

SolarAndWood said:
Nice coal bed, layer of 4-5 inch locust splits NS with 2 of these laid EW over the top. Not sure about 168 pounds, but should be able to do 120 pretty easy. 900,000 BTUs in a single load in the firebox.

That should last all night long in the BKK, eh?

scotvl said:
Thanks for the info, is a hydraulic pressure control switch needed also? If so where did you get yours. One last question, what rpm is the motor 1750 or 3400?

Motor is 3400, don't have a pressure control switch but don't know what one is either.

Battenkiller said:
SolarAndWood said:
Nice coal bed, layer of 4-5 inch locust splits NS with 2 of these laid EW over the top. Not sure about 168 pounds, but should be able to do 120 pretty easy. 900,000 BTUs in a single load in the firebox.

That should last all night long in the BKK, eh?

You got me. I'm just trying to get out of starting a fire every morning :coolsmirk:

SolarAndWood said:
cptoneleg said:

Bingo. Nice coal bed, layer of 4-5 inch locust splits NS with 2 of these laid EW over the top. Not sure about 168 pounds, but should be able to do 120 pretty easy. 900,000 BTUs in a single load in the firebox.

Can not believe someone asked you WHY!!!!!!! Im joining (Q L A B) CLUB The better the fuel the farther you go :zip:

Attachments

• imagesCA3ATVTQ.jpg
    imagesCA3ATVTQ.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 280
SolarAndWood said:
cptoneleg said:

I bet someone out there will now be thinking of how to clear a million BTU's in a single loading.........

Although the idea of a 48 hour burn without any poking or prodding might not be everybodies idea of an enjoyable evening by the fire......... ;-)

SolarAndWood said:
scotvl said:

Motor is 3400, don't have a pressure control switch but don't know what one is either.

Assuming you have a standard splitter valve, the pressure relief is built in.

woodchip said:
Although the idea of a 48 hour burn without any poking or prodding might not be everybodies idea of an enjoyable evening by the fire......... ;-)

I've done 48 hour burns twice, both with about 100 pounds of locust in the box. First time was when we first got the stove just because I didn't believe the marketing B.S. Second was last New Years weekend. Gone for 3 days and the stove was still warm when we got back. Raked the coals, few pieces of pine on the bottom of the load and off it went. The general strategy however is to burn the lowest grade fuel I've got that will keep the house warm for 24 hours. The Oak experiment is part of the plan for being able to do that in January. Between fuel, stove and major overhaul of the shell of the house, I think I can get there.

cptoneleg said:
Im joining (Q L A B) CLUB The better the fuel the farther you go :zip:

I never got how critical the fuel is until I started loitering around here. When I found hearth, I wasn't even in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.