Big Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
Today was a work day at church, with a bunch of us showing up to help clean up the grounds, in preparation for some of the events they host in spring/summer. There is a large grove, and a dozen or so big trees came down in Sandy. Being a new member, I let the long-time members have first dibs on the stuff, when they announced it was free for the taking last fall.

Well, one big oak, 48" DBH, was left un-touched until I showed up today. I bucked her into 20" lengths, and split the take with one other guy, who had a dump truck and excavator to help with the loading and hauling. This one had broken off about 15 feet above the ground, the lower part of the trunk being hollow. I think the diameter where I cut the trunk was more than 60", but I didn't measure it.

It made for a very quick haul of more than a cord for each of us.

Reactions: firecracker_77
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366512754.308395.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366512770.307582.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366512784.791984.jpg

yeah... but those were the small pieces! I left the real big stuff for the guy who owned the excavator, since he said he actually loads his log splitter with the excavator.

yeah... but those were the small pieces! I left the real big stuff for the guy who owned the excavator, since he said he actually loads his log splitter with the excavator.

That's great...should have a good time with that score. Will make for great burning during the really cold months.

Lotta White Oak being scored here lately. :cool:

Awesome score!
Some nice 4" X 6" splits gonna come out of those babies ;)

Nice to get the big stuff & have the equipment to process it.That's when careful preparation meets opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.