Big or Small splits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boisblancboy

Apr 26, 2009
Northern Michigan
I have been reading some manuals for different wood stoves and am wondering why they recommend using bigger splits for overnight long burns? To me, it seems like using smaller splits would help you get a more tightly packed and fuller firebox for the long overnight burn.

Use both.

Put as many big splits is as you can, then pack tightly around big splits with as many small splits as you can . . . . just don't overfill with softwood, unless you've seen how they burn in your stove. Don't want an overfire situation.

If you want a longer overnight burn, try to use denser species like oak, apple (and nearly any fruit tree), and hickory.
Good luck.

Smaller splits have greater surface area no matter how tightly you pack them. That area allows them to get hot faster and "outgas" which happens when wood gets over 250 degrees. It just takes big splits longer to get that hot through and through so they outgas slower and more evenly.

Oh ok, that does make sense. Is it that much of a noticable difference big vs. smaller splits? I have nothing but, Maple, Birch, Oak, Beach and Iron wood(thats what we call it hear, not sure if thats what it is really called, but its as dense as red oak and harder than heck to cut).

Nice to have both. Hard to build a fire with only big ones, hard to make a fire last long with only small ones.
Those are all good flavors you have - just make sure they're seasoned and dry.

You need both, small ones get your temp up quick, but you need big ones to go all night

branchburner said:
Nice to have both. Hard to build a fire with only big ones, hard to make a fire last long with only small ones.
Those are all good flavors you have - just make sure they're seasoned and dry.

words to live by right there.

i agree, its nice to have both. keep in mind when splitting next years, or the year ahead, whichever you maybe doing. i know my first year i split my wood way too small and had trouble getting really good burn times, i learned my lesson after a while.

I agree with branchburner and would add a few 5" to 7" rounds for overnight burns.

John_M

boisblancboy said:
Oh ok, that does make sense. Is it that much of a noticable difference big vs. smaller splits? I have nothing but, Maple, Birch, Oak, Beach and Iron wood(thats what we call it hear, not sure if thats what it is really called, but its as dense as red oak and harder than heck to cut).

I'd suggest saving the oak, beech and ironwood for night time burning. Daytime would be maple and birch.

I put the biggest splits in at night but in front bottom I also put some soft maple. The soft maple will get the fire going quickly while the larger splits will hold the fire longer.

And to answer your question, yes, there is a noticeable difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.