Big Orange Monster Maul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well something had to fire my desire to go with a gas log splitter and its not from being lazy. When i was 22 years old i slipped a disc in my lower back , wow ... whole new meaning on back pain you dont soon forget. When i was 30 i had knee surgery for a blow out knee. Too young for these problems to say the least. They say the older you get the wiser you get .........Well gathering wood is hard enough i thought i would be WISE and use my head the make the $$ so i didnt have to use my back so much and bought a gas splitter. Unknown to some what a world of difference a few really good chainsaws and a good gas splitter makes a huge world of difference. I figured if I'm going to put down over $3,000.00 ++ for a wood stove and use as 100% wood heat i need to jump in with both feet and no half a$$ so its no problem getting the wood splitter and higher grade chainsaws to save on #1 the heating bill and in turn the savings pay for all the tools need to process the wood. #2 My body & to have the enjoyment of wood heat. My body thanks me for it.

Roo said:
... When i was 22 years old i slipped a disc in my lower back , wow ... whole new meaning on back pain you dont soon forget. When i was 30 i had knee surgery for a blow out knee. ...

Hey Roo, you have my sympathies. Your med hist sounds like mine, but you'll need one more knee surgery (2 ACL ops) to catch me. I bulged my L4 vert disc right into my sciatic nerve pushing a car out of a mud puddle at 26 (well, I almost got it out). I looked like a salamander thrashing in that mud puddle until I figured out how to stand up in a pretzel configuration. I have a bunch of numbness down the side of my leg now and I buy aspirin in bulk for the lower back. And I watch my posture like a hawk, or else.

If I had a reliable source of wood and depended on wood for all my heat, I'd need a powered splitter. But I don't.

Mo Heat said:
Roo said:
... When i was 22 years old i slipped a disc in my lower back , wow ... whole new meaning on back pain you dont soon forget. When i was 30 i had knee surgery for a blow out knee. ...

Hey Roo, you have my sympathies. Your med hist sounds like mine, but you'll need one more knee surgery (2 ACL ops) to catch me. I bulged my L4 vert disc right into my sciatic nerve pushing a car out of a mud puddle at 26 (well, I almost got it out). I looked like a salamander thrashing in that mud puddle until I figured out how to stand up in a pretzel configuration. I have a bunch of numbness down the side of my leg now and I buy aspirin in bulk for the lower back. And I watch my posture like a hawk, or else.
Let me say for the record i have no desire to catch up with you Mo ! You win ! I know all about the "stand up in a pretzel configuration" For about 6 months after my slipped disc i could only stand for less than 30 minutes and then sit for less then 30 minutes otherwise i was "locked" NOTE: all you boys and girls out there PLEASE take care of your back ! one small slip and you'll remember it for LIFE!
If I had a reliable source of wood and depended on wood for all my heat, I’d need a powered splitter. But I don’t.
If you had a trailer and a truck that got 100 miles per gallon I would share my 660 acre source with you over here in eastern NE ole' Mo. The farmer that owns the land is MORE pleased he found somebody that would take care of his wood lots than i was to find such a nice source.

I was picking up a chainsaw blade today and noticed a few 6lb mauls "on sale". I picked one up figuring when my sprained wrist healed I'd try it out. About 15 minutes after I got home I thought. "I'll just try it out... I'll just take a few swings..."

Holy Smack that thing splits wood! It's so much easier than my 10lb sledge and wedges! I'm converted to a maul.

Thankya for another lesson.

Matt

Roospike said:
Mo Heat said:
Roo said:

Let me say for the record i have no desire to catch up with you Mo ! You win ! I know all about the "stand up in a pretzel configuration" For about 6 months after my slipped disc i could only stand for less than 30 minutes and then sit for less then 30 minutes otherwise i was "locked" NOTE: all you boys and girls out there PLEASE take care of your back ! one small slip and you'll remember it for LIFE!
If I had a reliable source of wood and depended on wood for all my heat, I’d need a powered splitter. But I don’t.
If you had a trailer and a truck that got 100 miles per gallon I would share my 660 acre source with you over here in eastern NE ole' Mo. The farmer that owns the land is MORE pleased he found somebody that would take care of his wood lots than i was to find such a nice source.

Hey Fellas,

All my symptons disappeared: Chainsaw back and forearm, lower back hump the rounds out of the woods, splitters shoulder, stacking splinters you name it...

The Mrs is a Chiropractor solved everything...stretching a couple minutes before doing any of above also made a big difference...am very fortunate..

Vintage 181 said:
Hey Fellas,

All my symptons disappeared: Chainsaw back and forearm, lower back hump the rounds out of the woods, splitters shoulder, stacking splinters you name it...

The Mrs is a Chiropractor solved everything...stretching a couple minutes before doing any of above also made a big difference...am very fortunate..
Chiropractor was my ticket too! I still have to watch out for the lower back. stretching is A#1 as i have learned early in life with being into body building in my earlier years and has saved me a lot of pain and future accidents. The Chiropractor told me if i wasn't into body building and doing normal stretching as i have that the injuries would of been more of and worse with the ones i did have. Good post Vintage !

As a Paramedic, my mantra has always been "Better living through modern chemistry." However, my wife previously worked for a chiropractor for 13 years. She turned me on tho the chiropractic way. I am a changed man. Stretching is incredibly important. But health is the key!

The Mrs is a Chiropractor

Well we know who has the upper hand Or wich one is heavy handed. Or she gota get a grip on you
Got to hand it to her A winner hands down

Vintage 181 said:
...The Mrs is a Chiropractor solved everything...

Too late for me to marry a chiropractor, but a good suggestion for the single among us. ;)

The sciatic used to be a killer for me, cannot tell you how many stairs i went down, A former us ski team doctor used to do everything to me, could not figure it out..It has not bothered me since i met her,, used to think it was voodoo, not any more...Roo, i still make it into the gym a 3-4 times a week, lucky for that also..It is pretty amazing what she can do..

Vintage 181 said:
The sciatic used to be a killer for me, cannot tell you how many stairs i went down, A former us ski team doctor used to do everything to me, could not figure it out..It has not bothered me since i met her,, used to think it was voodoo, not any more...Roo, i still make it into the gym a 3-4 times a week, lucky for that also..It is pretty amazing what she can do..
Alright Vintage ............Lets keep it clean here. ;-)

I help my niece with her wood pile from time to time.
It has always been our thinking that if it takes more than the hydro splitter
will do, that piece must have been meant to be use as a stool around the
bonfire or as the bonfire itself. There really is nothing like a nice cold beer and a nice r
oaring fire and good times with the family on chrisp fall night.

Status
Not open for further replies.