Big Post Oak had to come down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bspring

Feeling the Heat
Aug 3, 2007
Greenville, SC
My dad asked me to bring my saw because one of his big Post Oaks that had been dead for several years was concerning him. As it turns out is was not as rotten as we had thought. I thought it would fall apart when it his the tree behind it.

Attachments

• Billy Cuts Tree.jpg
    Billy Cuts Tree.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 483
  • Billy and Pops with Tree.jpg
    Billy and Pops with Tree.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 498
  • Finished email.jpg
    Finished email.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 492
Looks Nasty nice work!

Trees like that are when I make Backwoods Savage happy . . . I always go vertical on wood like that . . . looks like you'll get quite a bit of good wood out of this tree.

NICE job. That one looks tricky!

Looks like plenty of primo White Oak group wood left there. Nice! :)

Nice job BS. That had the makings of somebody getting hurt. I like oak, but dang it sure gets heavy by the end of the day!

Going to make some great fire wood.
Good job on a tough one. :)

Great job there.Those partly hollow and/or hanging ones can be very risky.I still have that large old leaning Red Oak snag intertwined in an upright Bur Oak snag next to the ravine to bring down.Keep hoping the wind will help things out,but after 5 yrs both are still upright.Thinking next Spring or sooner if weather & schedule cooperates.

OH MY! Than one would have made me step back and think about it for a few. That thing had the ability to do all sorts of wrong things. Good job on finally getting it on the ground with everything still intact. Whew!

I have been known to rope off logs like that to make sure there is only one way it can go.

Indeed, good thing nobody got hurt on that one.

Looks to me to have been a risky undercut there.

I've had some similar trees to work on but either use a come-a-long or rope/chain and tractor to pull them down.

I like wearing my hard hat too as I've seen falling trees/limbs go flyin' in scary directions at times.

Wow! What really looks scary to me is that it appears you are standing on the wrong side to do the undercut! However, I also realize pictures can be very deceiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.