Big power difference between 5 and 7 ton electrics?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Range Road 7 ton kinetic splitter today...same as the Timber Champ. It's amazing how fast it splits.
It would be interesting to hear your thoughts after you put some time on the handle. Their video shows the guys short stroking 2 or 3 times per most logs. I don't know if that was just the operator or a "need", because that doesn't look like a very efficient way to split.

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts after you put some time on the handle. Their video shows the guys short stroking 2 or 3 times per most logs. I don't know if that was just the operator or a "need", because that doesn't look like a very efficient way to split.
Well, I can tell you right now that it's not for the big stuff that a 5 ton electric would plow through. I'm splitting birch, spruce and fir with it and I have to say the speed is really good. The 2 second cycle time is definitely there. My 5 ton hydraulic is only in the shade compared to it. It goes through the wood like a knife, and no splintering like happens with slow splitters. (No offence to my 5 ton)

Attachments

• IMG_4166.JPG
    IMG_4166.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 204
Well, I can tell you right now that it's not for the big stuff that a 5 ton electric would plow through.

Can I assume that by the statement above, you consider the electric 5 ton a more "powerful" unit? More capable? Just trying to figure out where this thing is in the pecking order of splitters...

Reactions: Jon1270
Can I assume that by the statement above, you consider the electric 5 ton a more "powerful" unit? More capable? Just trying to figure out where this thing is in the pecking order of splitters...
The 5 ton is bull strength. This machine is a gazelle. I figured the new one would be fine because I'm only splitting softwood. The only hardwood we have here is white birch and that has to be trucked in from the center of the island.Funny thing, I praised the new splitter this morning and it died on me about a 1/2 hour ago. Only had it 4 days. Waiting on response from dealer.

I praised the new splitter this morning and it died on me about a 1/2 hour ago. Only had it 4 days. Waiting on response from dealer.
Eeeek! - Not a ringing endorsement.
No offense, but I did actually snicker a tiny bit with the statement "The 5 ton is bull strength".;lol

Eeeek! - Not a ringing endorsement.
No offense, but I did actually snicker a tiny bit with the statement "The 5 ton is bull strength".;lol
No offense taken...lol. That's just from my perspective with the wood I burn. I burned one out on maple after a hurricane we had here a few years back.

Attachments

• 155203_1718402724832_1843454_n.jpg
    155203_1718402724832_1843454_n.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 185
I have one of the little 5 ton units and like it for my purpose (resizing), but have never heard the term "bull" applied to it.:p

No offense taken...lol. That's just from my perspective with the wood I burn. I burned one out on maple after a hurricane we had here a few years back.
My friend was helping me. The poor splitter was straining and we'd go hours without speaking to each other.

I have one of the little 5 ton units and like it for my purpose (resizing), but have never heard the term "bull" applied to it.:p
I gotcha :) . I tell you this. There's no way that new splitter I have is 7 ton. Bit of embellishing on the company's part. However, while it worked it was a lot faster and that's what I needed. Got about 16 cords of wood to split. One pile is here on my friends land. That's about 11-12 feet high in the center. Can't wait to get at it.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 221
Ah, so the 5-ton hydraulic broke but the "7-ton" kinetic is okay?

Ah, so the 5-ton hydraulic broke but the "7-ton" kinetic is okay?
My current 5 ton never broke. This was one I got at a place Called Princess Auto. It's like Harbor Freight. I ruined that one on the maple I gathered.
I just wanted the kinetic splitter cause it was much faster and I'm only splitting softwood.

OK, here's the other bit. Got the Powerhouse 7T today. Got it assembled (I think). There are four O rings I can't make sense of. There are two nuts and bolts that I think are duplicates. Checked the fluid and opened the breather valve.

There's no other way to say this, but I'm underwhelmed. It's really no different from the Homelite. It stalled out on the exactly the same stuff that the Homelite did. I was worried it would be noisier, but that's the same too. Everyone's camera used to record these things on the net must have the same edgy sounding mics. I'll put a dB meter on it, but it's fine.

Unless there's a break-in period I might as well have gotten the Wen. I didn't trip any breakers. It's a 20A breaker I shared with the pond pump. Maybe it's slightly better built but how would I know? The rods that pull the ram are .5" dia. just like the Homelite.

It retracts pretty quickly and maybe someday I'll figure out how to defeat that to save a few seconds per cycle. The tires are rubbery but they're so close together that when stored on end it doesn't seem stable. I didn't put the hand guard on so maybe that's part of that. The Homelite tires are 14" wide and the Powerhouse are 10" wide. Both pistons are 30mm.

I'm back in business but it's not the upgrade I was hoping for.

How much has the cycle time improved? The homelite has a 20 second the Powerhouse has a 15 second. I have the home lite 5 ton and would like to know. 5 seconds seems like a lot.

How much has the cycle time improved? The homelite has a 20 second the Powerhouse has a 15 second. I have the home lite 5 ton and would like to know. 5 seconds seems like a lot.

I hope this answer makes sense. I don't let the rams return all the way. If it's possible, I try to work where I'm dropping a round in place just as the wedge clears enough for it to fit.

With the Homelite, I modded it for hands-free and had the happy accident of the spring that activates the auto-return failed. So I would manually return to the precise distance I needed. But the Homelite's full cycle time was painful. What a waste of time!

For the first time, I had help splitting using the Powerhouse. Since I was loading and the other guy was working the handles (also modded), the goal was to never let the ram return any more than necessary. I don't recall being really annoyed by the power stroke, unless the round wouldn't split, and I think that's where a lot of time can be lost. What I need to confirm is if the Powerhouse has a "neutral" gear where you can return only as far as you want.

It's most important to go full Amazing-Kreskin and let a round tell you where it wants to split. Anything is better than prying one off and starting over.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jon1270
OK, here are the pics. Any idea of what to do with this old soldier? He kicked a lot of ass and I'd hate to throw him in the trash, if that's even legal.
where will you throw it in the trash at? I need a project for a kindling splitter.

Reactions: Soundchasm
My current 5 ton never broke. This was one I got at a place Called Princess Auto. It's like Harbor Freight. I ruined that one on the maple I gathered.
I just wanted the kinetic splitter cause it was much faster and I'm only splitting softwood.

Got my 7 ton kinetic fixed. Was only a loose wire. Splits birch really fast. A scattered twisty spruce needs to be pulled apart after the split.

Status
Not open for further replies.