Big Power Surge on St. Croix Hastings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JTaylor7355

Jan 3, 2017
Wyoming
Hello,
Had a pretty big power surge at our place last week that when returned home I found no lights coming on from the pellet stove n no response when pressing power. Since I have: triple checked to ensure power coming from the outlet, but have also tried powering on another outlet, changed fuse on back of circuit board n still getting no response.
Today, from the local dealer, I purchased n installed a new circuit board n found some black, burnt on the old board indicating to me it had been fried. On the new installed board it had 3 wires w/ a plug coming out which the old did not so have no clue where to plug in but wondering if can just be left alone n not plugged into anything.
With the new board I still got nothing so I removed the two side panels to get into the guts of the wiring. Once inside n moving wires I found the black wire on the main power cord had blown itself off the male coupling leading into the wire harness. After purchasing n attaching a new male coupling I was finally able to get some response: the power light came on for a couple seconds but immediately turns back off each time plugging back into the new surge protector.
Seems there's still a short somewhere n have guesses on what to spend more money on trying but thought I'd try gaining some other perspectives as I'm sure I'm not the first to encounter something similar.
Thoughts or ideas greatly appreciated
JT

You could try disconnecting everything from the control board, then plugging it in. If it stays on, the board is good. Then, with the power off, try connecting one thing at a time, then plugging the stove in. The item that causes the problem is the one to examine, including the wiring to it. That's a tried and true troubleshooting method, and costs nothing but a bit of time. Good luck! The hunt is on, the game is afoot!

The new circuit boards usually come with directions I think to set it up for each stove. I think they went with a universal board that needs configured for your particular stove.

With that big of a hit,it probably ruined other things in the stove,esp the motors,and you may have ruined the new board,recc call a stove tech.