Big Red Oak!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peterc38

Feeling the Heat
Sep 10, 2009
Maine
These rounds are from a big red Oak score. They are about 28" diameter. I have several more trips to make!

IMG_0820.jpg

Rolled them up the 1x12? What is length bar is that?

Nice pics, that will make some nice heat.

Nice! And Nice saw. When I get the chance I run the 394xp and just love it. Great balance and almost no vibration. Tons of power. I picked up a couple of bars and chains so I can mix and match. I really like to run .404 chain from stihl on that saw because it seems I can cut all day and it never needs a sharpen. very easy to change over sprockets too.

rathmir said:
Rolled them up the 1x12? What is length bar is that?

Nice pics, that will make some nice heat.

Yeah, I used the 2 x 12 as a ramp. I was going to quarter them with sledgehammer/wedge, but I did one and that was harder than I expected, so I decided to get them home and use the hydraulic splittah, (after all thats what it is for).

24" bar, it has a nice balance.

Nice score! We took one one down in my front woods the same size and it ended up yielding about 1.5 cords.. Those big rounds were heavy for sure!!

Ray

raybonz said:
Nice score! We took one one down in my front woods the same size and it ended up yielding about 1.5 cords.. Those big rounds were heavy for sure!!

Ray

Based on the diameter and 16" length, these rounds should weigh about 340 .lbs each. :bug:

ggans said:
peterc38 said:
These rounds are from a big red Oak score. They are about 28" diameter. I have several more trips to make!

IMG_0820.jpg

Any reason you cut that X on the round?

Yeah, to drive a wedge and quarter the round on site. I did that with one round and then decided it would be easier to just get 'em in the truck with the ramp and bring them home and use hydraulic splitter. Noodling wasn't an option as my chain was getting dull and I was pressed for time. This was about 150 ft off the road in a wet area with a couple inches of snow. I "skidded" the rounds to my truck with a trusty orange kiddie sled and rolled them up a ramp into the truck bed. :p

peterc38 said:
raybonz said:

Ray

Based on the diameter and 16" length, these rounds should weigh about 340 .lbs each. :bug:

Yes they were really heavy.. Some were 20" long or so.. Had to stand em up and split by hand so I could move them.. Even split in half I had all I could do to toss them a couple feet lol.. Used a sledge and wedge for 2 days ended up with tendonitis in both elbows.. game over! Ouch took 6 mos. to recover and this is why I now have an electric splitter... Great little tool for wimps like me haha..

Ray

I really like working on those bigger rounds. It always seems like you get a lot more done in a lot less time. I also do not think they split any harder; actually easier than the smaller rounds.

I too would have taken them home and use the hydraulic splitter.....vertically.

Double that 28in. and then your dealing with a big round....Wish I could find them that size.

smokinjay said:
Double that 28in. and then your dealing with a big round....Wish I could find them that size.

I guess it's all relative. I know there are much bigger oaks but I don't normally get my hands on them. Large Oaks are not that common in Maine generally speaking. Pretty short growing season here too. A tree the same age in a more temperate zone could be much larger. On the other hand, we got a lotta Moose and Lobstah! :)

peterc38 said:
smokinjay said:

I guess it's all relative. I know there are much bigger oaks but I don't normally get my hands on them. Large Oaks are not that common in Maine generally speaking. Pretty short growing season here too. A tree the same age in a more temperate zone could be much larger. On the other hand, we got a lotta Moose and Lobstah! :)

we done a 44in.x14ft trunk of oak 1/4 mile from the house this summer 2 of us it was 6hrs. I like the smaller ones just dont seem find them there here for sure just guess I get beat to them.

smokinjay said:
peterc38 said:
smokinjay said:

we done a 44in.x14ft trunk of oak 1/4 mile from the house this summer 2 of us it was 6hrs. I like the smaller ones just dont seem find them there here for sure just guess I get beat to them.

Yeah, I think I saw some pics you posted of that on AS.

That was a biggun!

Backwoods Savage said:
I really like working on those bigger rounds. It always seems like you get a lot more done in a lot less time. I also do not think they split any harder; actually easier than the smaller rounds.

And for once I agree with you . . . on splitting these big boys vertically. ;) :)

Backwoods Savage said:

Though I split by hand, I prefer big ones too. Especially big Red Oak. I spend less time moving the rounds and I like to see a day or two's worth of wood after each round is split. I carry a ramp when I scrounge, but I find with the easier splitting species, it is better for me to roll them to the truck and then split them into small enough pieces to lift onto the truck.

Never consider a ramp. I always just sledge and wedge them to lifting size. My luck - I'd get hurt or break something on my truck with a ramp. It would be nice to have a dolley and a lift gate truck. That would make things easy.

peterc38 said:
smokinjay said:

I'll trade you a cord of oak for a moose.

onion said:
peterc38 said:
smokinjay said:

I'll trade you a cord of oak for a moose.

done!

Status
Not open for further replies.