Big score! I think- can you confirm my wood ID pls?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ruserious2008

Jan 24, 2011
NH
Hello,
Think I made a nice score here with two large piles of large tree trunks that I believe are ash. They have been down 3-4 years so should be all seasoned and ready to go. I poked them with a screw driver and all seem solid with no rot. Do you agree they are Ash? Location in southern NH.
Thanks
IMAG0037.jpg
IMAG0038.jpg

Don't look like Ash to me, looks more like Pine.

I'm agreeing with some kind of conifer, looking at the way the knots are spaced from the branches. And the bark.

Thanks Peter for the reply. Ya I agree now that I printed my photo and went out into my yard to compare it with what I have already- should have done that first but there were ash all around these logs and I guess I got all excited. Starting to learn how to "read" bark patterns though:) Well if I didn't have about 10 cords of Pine in my yard to split and stack already I might have gone for this stuff. Anyone in southern nh want some very seasoned pine? I can hook you up with the owner.

Right but even if they were ash, just because they've been down 3-4 years does not mean they are seasoned and ready to burn! Many times you will cut into those logs and find only the very ends are dry enough to burn and there is still plenty of moisture in the logs. Don't count seasoning time until after the wood is cut to length, split and stacked.

Not ash . . . like Peter I'm guessing pine . . . maybe another evergreen species . . . but the bark and branch pattern certainly looks a lot like pine . . . which would also perhaps explain why the wood is there. Most old timers not in the know only cut up pine for lumber . . . not firewood . . . sometimes they take pine for pulp . . . this could have been wood that was either left behind from a woods cutting operation after the load was already full . . . or it could have been a cutting operation where the wood was cleared and pushed to the side and forgotten.

. . . in any case . . . free wood is good wood . . . and even if it is pine or some other softwood I would get it if you can get it legally and free.

Most of it appears to be Eastern White Pine. There is one stick in there that could perhaps be a hardwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.