Big Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
Shooting the breeze with guy at work a month or so back and he mentions getting some trees dropped. I tell him I'm interested in taking the wood. Deal.

Show up last night and, its hard to say exactly how much, but at least 15 F-150 loads of red and white oak bucked to length. Pull truck up within 2 feet of it and load it up. The rounds that were too big to lift have already been noodled.

It doesn't get much easier than that. I've hauled 5 loads so far and have put a noticeable dent in it, but man is there a lot left.

He wouldn't accept any money and even helped me load two loads. Truth be told I think his wife wants it out of the yard ASAP.

Needless to say he will be receiving a case of brews.

It certainly doesn't get much easier than that - and primo wood to boot - congrats! Cheers!

Good for you Luke!

Man, that is awesome. I envy the wood you guys get out there. That's probably 3 years worth of wood, killer find.

Now that is a MONSTER score !!!!!

elijah said:
Man, that is awesome. I envy the wood you guys get out there. That's almost 1 years worth of wood, killer find.

Fixed it for you.

Good score.

Excellent score....I get excited just finding a log by the side of the road :)
For that large of a haul, I'd bring him a few cases of brew.

Good deal . . . on both the wood and payback . . . you could even sweeten the deal more by getting him and his wife a gift certificate to a local restaurant.

Well, I'm now 9 loads into this adventure. Going to get 2 more this afternoon and should be able to finish the remaining 5ish tomorrow.

These have been some pretty healthy loads so I'm estimating 5-6 cord when it's all said and done.

I'm getting pretty tired, but its hard to stop because this is such good stuff.

Here is a pic...a little over half done.

Attachments

• IMG_1233 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1233 (Large).jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 529
lukem said:
Well, I'm now 9 loads into this adventure. Going to get 2 more this afternoon and should be able to finish the remaining 5ish tomorrow.

These have been some pretty healthy loads so I'm estimating 5-6 cord when it's all said and done.

I'm getting pretty tired, but its hard to stop because this is such good stuff.

Here is a pic...a little over half done.

Put something in the Pic for size reference if you can?

There's a gallon jug of TSC bar oil in front. Pile is about 8' wide, 4' high, and 20' long at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_1232 (Large).jpg
    IMG_1232 (Large).jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 519
lukem said:
There's a gallon jug of TSC bar oil in front. Pile is about 8' wide, 4' high, and 20' long at the moment.

That helps makes that jug look like a 2cycle one shot! lol Nice pile!

smokinjay said:
lukem said:

That helps makes that jug look like a 2cycle one shot! lol Nice pile!

I had a hard time finding the gallon of oil :)
Guess I should make an eye appt....nice score!!!

Hauling complete. 14 F-150 loads and one Ranger load. There are probably 2 more loads of limbs but the guy I got the wood from wanted some fire-pit wood.

I'm whipped. 15 loads in 2 evenings and 2 mornings/afternoons. Going to have to wait a bit before I can get it split. Good thing this is for '13/'14 or '14/'15 season.

That is a huge score!I think a grocery gift card and a case of brews are in order - may not seem like enough since the trees were bucked and halved. Im sure his wife would enjoy the free turkey and fixins with the gift card. my 2 cents anyway!!!

Luke, you no doubt are whipped, but I'm also betting you feel pretty darned good. It seems when we have to work hard for something, it is what we call a good tired feeling.

No one 'gives away' that quantity of great firewood that is already cut up. If it sounds too good to be true, it prolly is. The reason they were pushing you to get it out of there is that the trees weren't theirs :gulp:

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
No one 'gives away' that quantity of great firewood that is already cut up. If it sounds too good to be true, it prolly is. The reason they were pushing you to get it out of there is that the trees weren't theirs :gulp:

Another one of those blanket statements that should not be made. There are many folks who will give that amount of wood away.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:

You're right. He didn't give it away. I saved him the $400 the tree service quoted him to haul it away.

3 2/3 cord split (by hand) and stacked. I'm probably a little over half done...I'm definitely tired. Hope to have it done by the weekend.

There will probably end up being a 3/4 cord of gnarley pieces I'm going to borrow a splitter for. No sense in killing myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.