1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Big scrounge - too much..... plenty of pics.

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Auzzie Gumtree, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Auzzie Gumtree

Auzzie Gumtree Feeling the Heat

I dont think so. The next door neighbour came round and asked if i wanted this big blackwood tree he was having cut up. The rest is history and one very 'saw' body. Blackwood is a beautiful wood not normally used for firewood as it is too good and used in the furniture industry. They thought this one was termite infested but having cut it down its solid.

Going to try and make a table top out of one of the larger rounds and a couple of fruit bowls etc the rest is good firewood it sits somewhere between oak and hickory in the BTU charts.

How much do you think there is? my first guess was 6 cords?

CAM00123.jpg CAM00129.jpg CAM00130.jpg CAM00131.jpg CAM00132.jpg CAM00135.jpg CAM00136.jpg CAM00137.jpg CAM00138.jpg CAM00141.jpg
    smokinj, ScotO, FireBones and 3 others like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Locust Post

Locust Post Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast Ohio
    Never heard of blackwood. The one split looks like what we have around here, black walnut. Hard to tell from the pictures but looking at the tree my guess would be between 2-3 cord, full cords that is not face cords. But as I say it is hard to tell from pics.
  3. tigeroak

tigeroak Member

Loc:
    kansas illinois
    Takes a lot of wood to be 6 cord. Sure is pertty wood. Close to our walnut here.
  4. certified106

certified106 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Athens, Ohio
    Wow nice score!
  5. bigbarf48

bigbarf48 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Stone Mountain GA
    Beautiful grain. Nice score!
  6. swagler85

swagler85 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    You can guess fairly close by how many loads you hauled. Bogeydave posted a chart a while back with how many truck loads to a cord depending on bed size. My fullsize 8' bed with no tool box is 1/2 cord loaded. Looking at your truck it's probably 1/4 cord. So 6 cord would put you at around 24 loads.
  7. Auzzie Gumtree

ok - here's how i guesstimated my 6 cords - I took 20 full ute loads out of next door. The ute holds just over 1 cubic metre but worked it out at 1 cubic meter so 20 x 1 =
    20 cubic meters = 5.5 cord..... i think. I know my arms and my back feel like 10 cords ;)
    ScotO likes this.
  8. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Can't beat the next door score, particularly on some quality wood. :cool: Nice-looking stuff. I'm assuming it pretty much dries like Oak, and will be sitting in the stack for a couple of years before it sees the stove.

"Saw" body...heh-heh. >>
  9. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    Nice score
    Those rounds would give anyone a "saw" body _g
  10. ohlongarm

ohlongarm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    Great score ,but beware of the funnel web spiders they love to hide in rough barked trees,can be deadly to any one bitten.
  11. Blue2ndaries

Blue2ndaries Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oregon
    Nice score...lots of BTUs there.
  12. Auzzie Gumtree

luckily we don't get them where we are - we just get all the poisonous snakes.......!!!
  13. ArsenalDon

ArsenalDon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    A couple of those look like perfect coffee tables...too bad you didn't think of cutting a couple like 6foot length...would make a great bar! Great score my friend.

4-5 would be my guess
  14. ArsenalDon

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    do you burn Eucalyptus? blue gum? if so thoughts? I have some coming free from a buddy, never burnt it.
  15. Auzzie Gumtree

16. Auzzie Gumtree

Blue gum - if its the same as here is very good solid hardwood its right up there with the best of them. It only takes a year of seasoning here but it will probably be different there. Splitting - its not the easiest as it tends to spiral a bit but i can manage it with the fiskars so if you have Hydrolic's it would be easy. Here's a list of firewood with their GSM (and lb / sq feet)

firewood gsm.jpg
  17. ArsenalDon

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    I am pretty sure I have it right. We just call it Eucalyptus...but I have learned there are many kinds of Eucalyptus. Blue Gum was what as accidentally brought here years ago and it is prolific now in California. I am excited to burn it but have been warned that it has oils that are quite volatile and burn very hot, and not to load it up full with just Eucalyptus. true?
  18. Auzzie Gumtree

We burn Eucalyptus all the time - its all we have. It does burn hot but as i dont have any oak, ash,hickory etc.... to compare it to as its all we know.

There are reports if the wood gets too dry it looses some of the 'oils' and it burns cooler. i haven't noticed this but i haven't been far enough in front.
  19. bboulier

bboulier Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE Virginia
    Beautiful wood.
  20. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Nice haul, Auzzie. Never heard of blackwood before but looks to be beautiful stuff, and I'd say you got enough for quite a while. Any idea how long it takes to season? If it's similar in BTU's to oak and hickory, I'm thinking 2 to three years, but being you are in Aussieland, probably a bit faster!
  21. Auzzie Gumtree

Yes - it is a lot quicker here 1 full season and it will be good to go. It was standing dead for a couple of years and we have had a drought for the last 10 years. i will run a moisture meter over it just to see. I wont be burning it for ~ 3 years as i am pretty much 4 years in front (maybe 5 with this haul....) although the boss has said that is enough for now - we will see it can be a strange affliction this wood collecting. I really wanted to be 2 years ahead then 3 then 4......
    Trooper likes this.
  22. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Sounds like its just about time for you to join the club, then.....you'll be our first member from 'dan unda'....

http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/Furrwood-hrrders-club-ltd.112479/

We'll call your stash the "Plunder from Down Under"!!
    Realstone and Foragefarmer like this.
  23. Hills Hoard

Hills Hoard Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Melbourne, Australia
    i know how that feels....and i dont think i even have that much....ps....i live in the dandenongs ranges too..!
  24. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    That is an enormous amount of wood there. Good for you.
  25. Auzzie Gumtree

Where abouts are you? I'm in Ferny Creek.