big seasoned log

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

seasoned?

• seasoned

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • not seasoned, let it dry more.

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kosmonauts

Jan 15, 2016
Pennsylvania
hello,

Curious about something. I have a big log, maple, about 15 feet and about as wide as a human waist in diameter. It's been through about 3-4 seasons and both ends are totally black. Today I cut it up and split it up real nice and am just curious if its good to burn. Don't really wana toss it in and just wondering if anyone has seasoned like this for extended amount of time. Thanks!

Tough call. There are a few variables, like was it suspended off the ground? Standing dead when cut? Bark on or off? Soft or Hard maple? Burning it in an fireplace insert, stove, outdoor boiler, indoor furnace? Pre EPA?

Most likely it will need some time cut, split, and stacked.

Tough call. There are a few variables, like was it suspended off the ground? Standing dead when cut? Bark on or off? Soft or Hard maple? Burning it in an fireplace insert, stove, outdoor boiler, indoor furnace? Pre EPA?

Most likely it will need some time cut, split, and stacked.
X2

Yea I was thinking give it a season split and stacked anyways. It was on the ground and the barks still on so. Thanks a bunch!

X2 Wood does not REALLY season until split

My dad brought me some mulberry we cut the other day that came in at the highest of 25%. It was dead standing for apparently about 4 years without a leaf. So I would say give it until next year and then burn it.

Agree with above let sit, a buddy just did the same thing with a hickory log bigger than what you have. Once split wet as probably the day it fell, give it some wind and sun you will appreciate it more.

Reactions: Kosmonauts
That is if it hasn't turn to punk laying on the ground that long. Maple doesn't last long in ground contact. Just sitting with bark on is enough for it to start turning

X2 Wood does not REALLY season until split
Absolutely untrue. We cut down and burn trees that measure 18% as we cut em down, they burn great right away. Every species is different.

Status
Not open for further replies.