Big Splitting Day Tomorrow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
Going to try to make it a 4 cord day and finish up what is in my avatar. Split about a cord this evening with the maul for some exercise, but I'm breaking out the hydros tomorrow.

I will probably be sore and tired, but it will be a lot of fun. Now I just need to figure out where to stack it all...I don't plan on moving it again until 2016....so it had better be right.

EDIT: just looked at the avatar pic and it has been added to a couple times. I don't remember having green grass either....been a bit dry around these parts.

I'm right there with u...only I have some locust to split..hope I get close to a cord..ill be manually splitting mine

lukem said:
Going to try to make it a 4 cord day and finish up what is in my avatar. Split about a cord this evening with the maul for some exercise, but I'm breaking out the hydros tomorrow.

I will probably be sore and tired, but it will be a lot of fun. Now I just need to figure out where to stack it all...I don't plan on moving it again until 2016....so it had better be right.

EDIT: just looked at the avatar pic and it has been added to a couple times. I don't remember having green grass either....been a bit dry around these parts.

That sure is a full day, have fun.

zap

Whew, four cord is a lot of wood but if you split a cord by hand just to warm up, I don't doubt that you can get it done. :gulp:

I plan to put up a couple clothes line poles. Then drop a small Ash for my neighbor and buck a Sugar Maple log that's too big for his saw. After that, back home to split Red Pine, some of it down to kindling size and leaving some bigger for outside burning. Nowhere near four cords, though! :lol:

Lukem - good luck with that tomorrow! Four cords would be almost a full winter for me here in Virginia. And not planning to move it until 2016 - that's great that you're that far ahead! I'm sure you'll be wore out tomorrow evening but also very satisfied!

Ed

Luke enjoy the work.. It's great to spend the day outside creating your own heat source.. Gives a feeling of satisfaction that's hard to describe.. People that haven't done it don't understand what that is like.. I tend to get most of mine c/s/d and it's just not the same but still OK.. I want to get a triaxle load here but the wife thinks it would be a big mess and she worries that I will mess up my back.. She is probably right but I'd be willing to take that chance..

Ray

My wife's out of the country right now, so I've got 3 cords of 4 foot logs being delivered today for a bit of fun and exercise. But I won't be trying to split them all today!

ValentineHill said:
My wife's out of the country right now, so I've got 3 cords of 4 foot logs being delivered today for a bit of fun and exercise. But I won't be trying to split them all today!

LOL I love a man with a plan! She won't even know that you did it! I wouldn't to do all my wood that way but I do enjoy creating some of my own firewood.. Enjoy the work!

Ray

lukem said:
Going to try to make it a 4 cord day

Gonna feel that tomorrow.

Moving right along

Attachments

• 2011-09-10_09-44-38_680.jpg
    2011-09-10_09-44-38_680.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 551
lukem said:
Moving right along

Splitting 4 cords is like watching paint dry...J/k I hate splitting and stacking.

lukem said:
Moving right along

You never said you had a crew of 4. You'll have that done in no time.

smokinjay said:
Splitting 4 cords is like watching paint dry...J/k I hate splitting and stacking.

That is exactly why I don't stack :)

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:

I dont either! ;-)

Stacking crew! lol

Attachments

• zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 464
SolarAndWood said:
lukem said:
Moving right along

Aren't you guys done yet? Oh yeah, you had to stop and post here with your wood-powered laptop...carry on. :)

smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:

I dont either! ;-)

Stacking crew! lol
I love stacking and watching that row get longer. :)

I LOVE EVERYTHING about wood heat - except cutting,hauling,splitting,stacking,fetching, and feeding. Other than that....its :p GREAT!

Woody Stover said:
SolarAndWood said:
lukem said:
Moving right along

Aren't you guys done yet? Oh yeah, you had to stop and post here with your wood-powered laptop...carry on. :)

smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:

I dont either! ;-)

Stacking crew! lol

About half done, but weather starting to turn south. Oh well, we need some rain.

lukem said:
Woody Stover said:
SolarAndWood said:
lukem said:
Moving right along

smokinjay said:
SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:

I dont either! ;-)

Stacking crew! lol

About half done, but weather starting to turn south. Oh well, we need some rain.

Still Sunny here....Hope it holds for the day.

Got about half of it done and it stopped being enjoyable...so I stopped. The pile lives another day.

lukem said:
Got about half of it done and it stopped being enjoyable...so I stopped. The pile lives another day.

Smart move Luke I tend to overdo it every time.. That's my downfall.. I stacked 4 cord in 1.5 days alone.. Just can't stop... Yeah I'm crazy!

Ray

raybonz said:
lukem said:

Smart move Luke I tend to overdo it every time.. That's my downfall.. I stacked 4 cord in 1.5 days alone.. Just can't stop... Yeah I'm crazy!

Ray

I wasn't really tired yet, but it lost its luster after about 5 hours.

Good time to quit.Even if you dont feel tired yet,the mind can wander & its easy to get distracted & then possibly injured.

wood -powered laptop? Where'd you find yours? Been looking for one for quite a while.Just the thing to burn up my pile of scrap from the jobsite 3 weeks ago.

yeah i manually split about 3/4 a cord this morning...and that was about right...i was ready to be done...

lukem said:
You knew going in that Oakzilla wouldn't go down without a fight. :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.