Big square fireboxes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
Greatest damn invention ever.

Large splits, small splits, shorts splits. It doesn't matter. The only thing better would be if it didn't have burn tubes to smack into with splits. (yes, I know BK owners, your fireboxes are glorious. I am aware. ;lol)

I'm at the point of my stacks where I have two cords of short splits. With the square firebox, not an inch goes to waste.

Sweet ain't they? My old stove had one too.

Reactions: BrowningBAR
Seriously. Everything fits.

I'm at the point in my stacks where I don't have too cut many down. I'd be happy with short splits.

It actually took me a while to figure out how to best use the firebox. I kept loading the short splits in the center of the stove and would leave a bunch of uneven space.

After the first season with the 30 I cut and split every thing one way, 18" extra large. Most popular load is three splits N/S filling the whole firebox. With big trees I make all of the the slabs I can from them. And pack it with three or four standing on edge N/S. Perfect firebox for it.

If I get in a bind loading and need a custom piece my beloved little electric splitter in the breezeway is ready to bail me out.

30nc firebox.JPG

Attachments

• firebox.jpg
    firebox.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 190
at first I thought the pic was of some new fangled gas grill with a oven!

I have 10 cord of very large slabs. I kept Bart's burning habits in mind with the last wood delivery. That wood won't see the 30 until next winter, though.

Glad to see somebody else isn't into that high class beer drinkin'.
I love it! If it fits in my splitter it will fit in my stove one way or another.
My splitter will take a 24" log. When I am bucking I don't get fancy, just aiming for between 18" and 24"
and I know it will fit in the stove.
Love BIG almost square fire boxes!

Reactions: Mitch Newton
The BK isn't better here. Still has a goofy cat box hanging down in the way of just chucking stuff in. I do appreciate the ability to load in either direction though.

The Endeavor doesn't have the biggest box, but having the ability to load 18" splits N-S or E-W does allow for convenience and flexibility.

The BK isn't better here. Still has a goofy cat box hanging down in the way of just chucking stuff in. I do appreciate the ability to load in either direction though.
Probably not as annoying as four burn tubes. I'll hit each one of them with a split on occasions.

*CLANG!*
- Damnit.

*CLANG!*
- Damnit.

*CLANG!*
- Damnit.

*CLANG!*
- Damnit.

Repeat...

Probably not as annoying as four burn tubes. I'll hit each one of them with a split on occasions.

*CLANG!*
- Damnit.

*CLANG!*
- Damnit.

*CLANG!*
- Damnit.

*CLANG!*
- Damnit.

Repeat...

Reminds me of when I was calling Jody cadence in the Army.

"Sound off!"

"Clang, clang!"

"Sound off!"

"Clang, clang!"

"Bring it on down!"

"Clang clang clang clang. Clang clang! Clang clang!"

;lol

Yeah i hear ya there about the square firebox.

Seriously. Everything fits.

It's the only way to fly.

No clangs, burn tubes or sensitive baffles to experience with the T6. Load it until there is no more room.

*CLANG!*
- Damnit.

*CLANG!*
- Damnit.

*CLANG!*
- Damnit.

*CLANG!*
- Damnit.

Repeat...
before or after you pop a cork?

Yep that cat enclosure is a PITA! I wouldn't even want to wager a guess at how many splits I've banged in past it. ;lol

Reactions: evilgriff
Status
Not open for further replies.