Big Storm just knocked down a big tree in my yard what a way to wake up!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pallet Pete

On the bright side we got free firewood partially processed on the down side the beautiful tree went down. It is hard to tell but it looks like an entire half of the neighbors tree came down. (It was a big tree)
No body was hurt thank the lord it would have only had to go a few feet the other way and it would have gone through there roof !

Pete

Attachments

• DSCN1240.jpg
    DSCN1240.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 217
Of course now our antenna has gotten obliterated again too <>

Glad everyone is o.k.... Those storms are dropping down our way. Alerts are out for some bad storms with high winds this morning.

Does your neighbor burn wood? If not, more for you.. ;)

yeah it seems we're in that pattern....feast or famine. central and southeast getting the rain and storms and humidity and here in the northeast (well, here anyway) its dry dry dry. all the rain is sliding right under us. last night out out for a sail on the hudson river and watched the most incredible display of lightning i've ever seen. but no thunder at all. turns out the cells were 50-90 miles away! more rain passing just to our south. but i have to confess...90 degrees every day with 40-50% humidity, 50's at night is some mighty fine summer weather.

yeah it seems we're in that pattern....feast or famine. central and southeast getting the rain and storms and humidity and here in the northeast (well, here anyway) its dry dry dry. all the rain is sliding right under us. last night out out for a sail on the hudson river and watched the most incredible display of lightning i've ever seen. but no thunder at all. turns out the cells were 50-90 miles away! more rain passing just to our south. but i have to confess...90 degrees every day with 40-50% humidity, 50's at night is some mighty fine summer weather.

Thats pretty good weather, but here the highs are above 100 and the lows in the mid seventys. Things never get cooled off at night. with the heat index it supposed to be 111 today. At least the humidity is low.

Pallet Pete, seems like this weather is the norm for this summer, stay safe. We had a storm track just south of us yesterday about 5:10 pm, we picked up some needed rain, the lights flickered a few times but we never lost power.

I finally was able to cook the burgers on the grill but the best part was the dessert, Berry Delight, pics tonight. ==c

zap

Reactions: ScotO
Well My friends here are the distruction storm pics from this morning ! It turned out not to be that bad of damage after all. The storm took out the light and power polls on main street and almost every block around us too ! Some how we did not loose power here is the funny part though our antenna now receives 53 channels after being destroyed again ;lol We only received 31 before the missing tree and busted antenna ;ex

Pete

Attachments

• DSCN1241.jpg
    DSCN1241.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 154
  • DSCN1242.jpg
    DSCN1242.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_20120705_072850.jpg
    IMG_20120705_072850.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_20120705_072857.jpg
    IMG_20120705_072857.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_20120705_073910.jpg
    IMG_20120705_073910.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_20120705_073500.jpg
    IMG_20120705_073500.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 180
  • DSCN1245.jpg
    DSCN1245.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 167
Dexter No he doesn't sooooo we get to :ZZZ ;) Be safe that was a freaky loud storm last night. The lightning and rain where badly needed around here so I am glad it came.

One tracker it has been so dry here that a few fields have cought fire around us and our grass sounds like walking on a plastic bag. Yesterday was 110 F here and last I heard today will hit a heat index of 108 F this is just too much for us. 60F with a cool breeze and I am in heaven.

woodmaster maybe we should invent a teleporter to shoot us to lake michigan when ever we want !

I want pics Zap ;lol I occasionally clone your food ideas and that one sounds great !

Stay safe fellas......some really crazy wicked weather with this damm heat wave. Is it late October yet? I'm ready for it! ;)

How'd I miss your post scotty ! Shoot at this rate we won't burn till january 30 2013 around here :rolleyes:.

Pete

Big tree was blocking the TV signals of 22 stations & now it's fire wood. 2 good things in one event ;)
Usually here we say "Stay warm" but this summer I think that needs amended:
"Stay cool" ;)

Thanks Dave I will stay cool now its way too hot today :ZZZ As soon as I got the big stuff cut up the village came by and took the rest of the pile ! We managed to get about 15 big rounds and a few 6in rounds before the came. My neighbor asked what was wrong with me and I said I have wood fever if I see it I can't leave it alone ;lol.

Pete

Pete, when I first saw this I was ready to call to see if you needed help cleaning up the tree. Now I see you have it done. Good for you and glad that tree fell where it did.

On the other hand, I slept through the storm and even slept in this morning. When I woke up I found we had no power. Called and was told 11:30 tomorrow at the earliest. Now they say it might be Sunday. So, the generator gets a workout for sure.

O wow Dennis I didn't realize the storm went as far north as you guys ! Let me know if you need anything and I will help out where I can. I went to Owosso today and was surprised at all the down trees and power outages. There was an armys worth of consumers energy trucks ( Convoys of them ) buzzing around every where I looked ! Hopefully you get power soon Dennis.

Pete

Yes we do need something Pete. Cooler air to begin with....

Glad that biggun missed ya. Good deal with the extra channels and not having to deal with cleanup!

a couple of shots of the twin gum that came down in back of the house. my wife is @ 5 foot. i'm standing on the smaller of the two trees. wish it burned better. would have a year or two of wood. gotta find a logger. sorry for the arrangements....

1341101937442.jpg
1341187121169.jpg
1341187246918.jpg

1341186979277.jpg1341186908089.jpg

cass

Pete, we had the power come back on......only to turn off again..... Still using generator.

Man that stinks ! The wife and I went to flint today Dennis and I lost count of all the power companies that where there. There was even a Canadian company as well as some out of state and a national guard convoy ! All power related trucks from the look of it ! Elsie is still out of power as well as half of Ovid.

Pete

Pete, we got power again around noon today. So far, so good.

Speaking of power company trucks when I was on my bike ride this afternoon I stopped at the sub station and talked to a couple guys who were taking a break. A while later I passed there again and this time there were at least 15 trucks there and within a mile I met 5 more heading that direction. I think they maybe were going to call it a day. Still, just a mile from that sub station people still had generators going.

That's good to hear Dennis ! They said there initial estimate was off and that it was close to 600000 homes out of power. What a storm ! I am glad you guys are alright and have power again. There are still big groups of energy trucks buzzing around here too.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.