Big Thanks with Feedback!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mlasko

Sep 24, 2008
Western PA
Seems like you never really get feedback on the issues that are presented here. So I wanted to let everyone know, especially newbies like myself, that burning as little paper as possible is my new goal. I've been burning 24/7 for my first year and was really getting concerned about the smoke pouring into the room when I opened to reload. I never remember that amount of smoke coming out when I first started. Sure enough, based on the advice gathered here, I crawled on the roof today and the cap was probably more than 50% caked with muck. I scraped it all out and the reloading issue is solved. I'm going to tractor supply tomorrow after work and sweeping the chimney ASAP. I've been burning probably about 80% seasoned wood with some green mixed in. I've learned a great deal in the last couple of months on this site (I read it daily) and I'm really grateful. Many, many thanks.

Are you suggesting that burning paper caused a clogged chimney cap?

Based on what I"ve been reading here, I think that the creosote that forms at the chimney cap (warm meeting cold) and the "flakes" from burning paper combine and chunked it up. So to answer your question, I don't think paper is the sole culprit here, but I do think that yes it does contribute to clogging the cap.

You're not alone. Many folks, myself included, have been hosed by that silly smoke filter spark arrestor thing. I agree that paper may not have had anything to do with it, the screens are just going to clog unless you are some sort of super hero. Expect to clean that thing several times per season and it is not necessarily a reflection of poor burning habits or wood.

Woodsmoke, one more thing. You said you scraped the creosote from the screen. Rather than scraping, just use a simple wire brush and it will be faster and easier. Good luck.

Oh, I also doubt that paper would cause this.

Status
Not open for further replies.