Big time wood score and easy to get

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadon

Sep 30, 2008
Central Pa
Over the Christmas break, I get 14 days off with pay for the holidays ,a benefit of working for a University. Anyway the farmer that farms the fields around my cabin cut and pushed major amounts of trees from the edges of his fields. They do this every so often to keep the fields open and allow sunshine on the crops. I ask him if I could cut the wood after he is done. I told him I would clean up the edges nice and help with the trimming. BOY did I score some wood. I cut the first 200 foot of edge and hauled 7 full size pickup loads I mean ALL my truck could handle since I only have to haul from the field and across the farm road to my cabin no public roads. This wood is all Oak ( red and white ) and Ash. I will be getting an estimate of 20 loads per field with 8 fields to go. I will cut all winter because after he plants in the spring I cannot drive in the fields right now I can drive throught the fields making it very easy to have access to the wood. If I do not get done this winter I can cut next winter. I think it will take about 3 winters to complete.

Good score Deadon...and so close too.

thats close to home cant get any better!

Pictures of the first field I am cutting. Again I estimate 20 loads per field with eight fields to cut. I am SET for years to come just need to do the work.

Attachments

• 209256-R1-03-21A.jpg
    209256-R1-03-21A.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 507
  • 209256-R1-02-20A.jpg
    209256-R1-02-20A.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 498
  • 209256-R1-00-18A.jpg
    209256-R1-00-18A.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 476
Now that I'm a wood burner, I drive around up here in the mountains of TN wondering how much wood I could get from tree X as I pass it by. That's a fine score. I would love to get into something like that. My grandmother's neighbor had some select cut timber harvesting done last summer. Dad approached him about cutting the tops, but the guy wanted one load for every load dad took. Dad said that was too much work when he had other sources. Shame he couldn't work something else out with the guy, as it's a nice pile of wood and close to the barn where we work it up.

Hey Deadon, you are dead on with this one for sure! Congratulations. Now get busy cutting and hauling. lol

Pagey said:
Now that I'm a wood burner, I drive around up here in the mountains of TN wondering how much wood I could get from tree X as I pass it by. That's a fine score. I would love to get into something like that. My grandmother's neighbor had some select cut timber harvesting done last summer. Dad approached him about cutting the tops, but the guy wanted one load for every load dad took. Dad said that was too much work when he had other sources. Shame he couldn't work something else out with the guy, as it's a nice pile of wood and close to the barn where we work it up.

Pagey,
Check with some of the local farmers they often need to trim along the edges of their fields to keep them open. That is how I got this one. I told the farmer I would cut as he wanted. We both benefit he gets his fields trimmed with free labor, I get free wood.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hey Deadon, you are dead on with this one for sure! Congratulations. Not get busy cutting and hauling. lol

Hey Backwoods,
like you said in the other thread, Winter time is the best time for cutting. As you can see the fields are open and I can drive right up to the wood. Man is it sweet. Each field has about 4500 feet of edge and in this fields first 500 feet I cut 7 loads for that Ford in the picture.

I did get a nice score from a friend who's a logger. He got to clear cut for a guy - he cuts the trees and keeps them because the land owner just wanted the land cleared. It's all mixed hardwoods that most mills won't really pay much for, so a couple of weekends ago we hauled in 45 logs on his single axle side loading log truck. We're in the process of bucking and splitting now. We've split about 7 or 8 of the logs, with a mix of hickory, poplar, maple, red oak, white oak, and a black gum.

We have more to go back and get, but we've gotten over a foot of rain since December. So, needless to say, it's damned soggy at the moment. As soon as the ground firms up some we'll be back to hauling with the log truck. Sooo much quicker than my Tacoma!

Thanks for the follow up Deadon ...here's hoping the fields stay clear of snow.

Deadon said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Hey Deadon, you are dead on with this one for sure! Congratulations. Not get busy cutting and hauling. lol

Hey Backwoods,
like you said in the other thread, Winter time is the best time for cutting. As you can see the fields are open and I can drive right up to the wood. Man is it sweet. Each field has about 4500 feet of edge and in this fields first 500 feet I cut 7 loads for that Ford in the picture.

Yes, I do think cutting should be done during the winter. And right now for you it is a blessing that there isn't a big snow cover. Fields should be frozen. Just be sure to watch out once the frost starts going out or you'll bury a trailer fast! So keep busy while it is frozen, or as we say in these parts, "You have to make hay when the sun shines."

We'll be thinking of you. As for us, right now we'll wait out the cold before cutting any more. As soon as snow goes I have several soft maple that are down that needs cutting. I'll also cut more soft maple. I do that usually in February and March because the deer are getting pretty hungry by then and they love the tips of all the branches.

Wow great score DEADON , do you sell wood too ? You must heat with all wood. I noticed in your Sig you have 25 chords of wood WOW...Ive only got about 6-7 and like to stay
2 years ahead of the game.

It looks like some Beech is in there too ? The Gray smoothed Bark Trees.

Are you anywhere near Lancaster? Sound like you could use a hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.