Big tree going down today (137') WITH VIDEO AND PICS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad's happy that it got down okay. It fell a little shorter than my dad and I pictured. Can't wait till tomorrow to start cutting!

FireAnt said:
The amazing part was how he threw this little weighted bag with a string tied to it, up into the limbs right were he wanted the rope to go over like throwing darts. About 70 ft up...

I use the same method when camping, to hang the food bag at night to keep it away from the bears. I use a carabiner instead of a bag because it's more aerodynamic (and I always have a few with me). A real good toss for me is like 40 feet. 70 feet is pretty darn good. Then again, the guy gets to practice every day. And I have to toss in some pretty tight cover as seen below. The branch I threw it over was way above the branches at the top of the photo. I had to get it between several close branches, about 30-35 feet up. I remember I made so many bad throws I was ready to give up and let the bears have the food.

Attachments

• IMG_4690 copy.jpg
    IMG_4690 copy.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_4689 copy.jpg
    IMG_4689 copy.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_4671 copy.jpg
    IMG_4671 copy.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 185
Status
Not open for further replies.