Big weekend ahead.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vikestand

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2014
Missurah
Wife and I live on 35 acres, about 2/3rds is heavy woods. I haven't had to cut any wood off our place yet.(FIL built a new house on a wooded lot)

Getting off work going to head home get the saws tuned up and build my bed extensions for the UTV.

Tomorrow I am going to down the trees I marked late summer and get them back to the barn. Neighbor has a truck bed trailer he is giving me(even if its in rough shape it's a rolling frame).

Maybe even try out my new Fiskars I bought last night.

Exciting times ahead!

With 20+ acres of woods, I am not sure you will ever get ahead of it, unless you start selling it or giving it away. A good problem to have. :)

Reactions: Rebelduckman
Beautiful day for some work!

Finished wood racks(well sorta).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 370
I'd be in hog heaven with that much woods to manage. Enjoy!

That Fiskars is real nice, but I hope you have a hydraulic too. That's a lot of wood!!!.

I do. A 25 year old 20 ton splitter with a 5hp Briggs. I can hand split faster than it most days. If I get family involved I opt for hydraulics.

No downed tree pics, but this give ya the idea of SE Missouri woods.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 300
I've got 100 acres+-. Another 150 of family land I can cut on as well. Nice to know I'll never have to worry about wood. Never bought any and don't ever plan to

Reactions: Vikestand
I've got 100 acres+-. Another 150 of family land I can cut on as well. Nice to know I'll never have to worry about wood. Never bought any and don't ever plan to

I have the option at more when my neighbor passes. He has about 180, but I think another 50 will do. I'm sure in 20 years I'll wish I had the full 180 lol

Definitely focus on TSI. If you do that you always have plenty of firewood as a "byproduct".

Finished wood racks(well sorta).

Be careful with that box extension, not sure what UTV you have but I have a Polaris 800XP, If I extended my box by that much and loaded it with green wood, my rear end would blow up or the shocks would blow, something bad anyways...

Be careful with that box extension, not sure what UTV you have but I have a Polaris 800XP, If I extended my box by that much and loaded it with green wood, my rear end would blow up or the shocks would blow, something bad anyways...

I have had it tossed loaded with wood(not stacked) and it doesn't get near the limit the suspension has. You figure you can't even get close to a rank tossed. And that is what the manufactures brags is the hauling capacity in weight(1000lbs). You won't manually be able to use the dump bed.

Definitely focus on TSI. If you do that you always have plenty of firewood as a "byproduct".

Someone has to ask, what is " TSI " ?

BOB

Timber Stand Improvement?

I have had it tossed loaded with wood(not stacked) and it doesn't get near the limit the suspension has. You figure you can't even get close to a rank tossed. And that is what the manufactures brags is the hauling capacity in weight(1000lbs). You won't manually be able to use the dump bed.

Ahh....split wood, I stack whole or halved rounds in mine, I know I push my 1000 lbs haul capacity about every time.

I have about 275 heavily wooded acers. The problem is that it is 150 miles from my house!

I haven't done the math yet on transportation, but I'm not sure it makes sense to pull wood from there.

Ahh....split wood, I stack whole or halved rounds in mine, I know I push my 1000 lbs haul capacity about every time.

I need to show you over to my "truck bed project" thread for my wood hauler. lol

We bought the Ranger this past april and have used it a ton. I used to keep a cord stacked and split at the house over winter. Now we have a wood rack and the utv, I can just haul up a little bit at a time with ease.

Just need to put some change together for doors!

Reactions: TedyOH
I have about 275 heavily wooded acers. The problem is that it is 150 miles from my house!

I haven't done the math yet on transportation, but I'm not sure it makes sense to pull wood from there.

My brothers and I have about 75 acres that touch about 2500 acres of corp of engineers property. It was the land my grandparents retired to in the 80's. I rarely if ever haul wood from there, just not worth it unless I am there over deer season etc.(not supposed to, due to the Ash Bore:rolleyes:). But as a kid I remember dad having his 1985 3/4 Chevy and a truck bed trailer loaded to the roof with wood. It was worth the trip then.

Someone has to ask, what is " TSI " ?

BOB

Its a program to promote wildlife and healthy forests. It's pushed hard by the Missouri Department of Conservation. It basically is selective cutting of your woods. Know which trees to drop etc. I've seen it work wonders first hand. Deer love the tops to bed in. It opens up the canopy and animals love the browse they get. Your trees will grow exponentially better than before. Something simple as not having too many trees over a certain diameter within a certain distance of each other.

Its a program to promote wildlife and healthy forests. It's pushed hard by the Missouri Department of Conservation. It basically is selective cutting of your woods. Know which trees to drop etc. I've seen it work wonders first hand. Deer love the tops to bed in. It opens up the canopy and animals love the browse they get. Your trees will grow exponentially better than before. Something simple as not having too many trees over a certain diameter within a certain distance of each other.

Thats great thanks.

WHAT DO THE INITIALS "TSI" stand for ?

bob

Timber Stand Improvementv

Status
Not open for further replies.