1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

BigE - Convection Fan Shut Down?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by bonesy, Jan 27, 2013.

1. bonesy

bonesy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE PA
    Anyone know why my convection fan would all of a sudden shut down during mid burn? Stove was up to temp, fan kicked on high for the level I had it set at. Then just shut off completely. Stove stopped feeding and fire burned out. Did a restart and it turned on just fine. Any ideas?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DV

DV Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southern MD
    Did stove stop feeding due to a max temp shut off? I had issues with my convection fan doing the same. It was a loose electrical connection that was the problem. The blower would come on an off randomly due to the loose connection. I figured it out by wiggling the wires and the fan would come on and off. It was actually the connection fittings at the blower.
  3. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Convection blower motors have thermal protection and will shut down which will lead to the stove going high limit and shutting down.

Clean the dust bunnies out of the motor and the motor fan as well as out of the squirrel cage and oil the blower motor (may take several) a couple drops in each oil port and work in cycles to get it to spin freely.
    heat seeker likes this.
  4. bonesy

bonesy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE PA
    DV, I don't think stove hi temp was reached because the stove just turned on and my Rutland gauge that is placed on the door below the glass wasn't even in the "good burn" area yet. Normally when it warms up the gauge reads 350-400 depending on how long its been running.

Smokey, I will check the fan and give it a good once over. It started right back up with no issues so I don't think it was bound up. Do the convection blowers require a new gasket when removed?

Thx for the tips.
  5. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    No new gasket required.
  6. bonesy

bonesy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE PA
    FYI - convection fan clean as a whistle, easily spins freely if spun by hand.
  7. brack86svo

brack86svo New Member

Loc:
    Central PA
    Is the diag light flashing when it shuts down?
  8. bonesy

bonesy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE PA
    It only did it once, and when it did, the convection fan just shut off and it stopped feeding. I did not wait long enough for any diag lights to flash before restarted it and it came back on fine.
  9. brack86svo

brack86svo New Member

Loc:
    Central PA
    Could have been a fluke. Mine has done that before. It would light, the fan would come on, then it would go into a shut down. It would always fire back up fine after that. Mine has done that maybe 2 or 3 times in the 2 years i've been running it.