bigger primary holes on englander

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
Has any one thought about drilling the holes out on a 13nc primary to gain more draft the holes are pretty small. I guess then some type of carbon screen would have to be placed there to keep coals out of the little "bump".

I don't have one but I'd like to think that the manufacturer knows what is best. And from what I have read here it's a good stove out of he box.

The little thing in the front with a hole in it isn't where the primary enters the firebox. The primary comes in through the three inch tube under the back of the stove and then enters the firebox from the top over the door and down across the glass . The thing in the front gets its air from holes in the bottom of the stove behind the front legs.

oilstinks said:
Has any one thought about drilling the holes out on a 13nc primary to gain more draft the holes are pretty small. I guess then some type of carbon screen would have to be placed there to keep coals out of the little "bump".

i'd suggest not doing it , could change the air balance of the stove thus reducing the primary air which would lead to incomplete burning in the back of the firebox and dirtier glass with no real gain in heat.

ive only got like 12' of pipe so i dont have a realgood draft. Gonna install an outside air kit this year to help. JUst wondering if i could gain draft by doing that. I know ad more pipe but ive already got 6ft out of the roof.

so whats another 3' gonna change other than your draft?

BrotherBart said:
The thing in the front gets its air from holes in the bottom of the stove behind the front legs.

Do you think this holds true on most stoves, or Englanders specifically? Would you happen to know if this component has a name?

I think "the thing in the front" that is spoken of, is what many people call the doghouse. It's purpose is to inject air to the base of the coals. Some people call it zipper air. The zipper air helps to accelerate the burning down of coals and supplements the primary air that usually comes from the door air wash. It can act like bellows. Of course this will vary among stove brands and models.

On my RSF, the zipper air was unregulated. In my former home I had a combination of too much draft and induced combustion via OAK resulting in a stove that was hard to control so I reduced the size of the zipper air opening. In my current home I have far less draft and so I enlarged the opening but this time I put in an adjustable control so I can close it down for unattended burns, open it to burn down the coals or accelerate the fire, or set it in between to original factory spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.