Bigger saw: Dolmar or Stihl?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willisl64

Apr 6, 2008
South Central IA
Wanting a bigger saw. Have both a Stihl and Dolmar dealer nearby.... Options are:

1. Rebuilt ms660 with a 30" bar for $750. Saw looks rough, runs good. 750 bucks sounds a little steep, and is more saw than I was looking for.

2. New Stihl 441 with 24" bar for $800. This is the size I was looking for, but $800 is once again higher than I was thinking.

3. New Dolmar 7900 with 24" bar for $650. I like the size and weight of this saw. Price seems more reasonable.

I currently have a smaller Dolmar, and am satisfied with it. With this price point I will probably go with option 3 unless someone here can talk me out of it. Dad always said you get what you pay for, so is the extra 150 worth getting a Stihl?

Thanks

willisl64 said:
Wanting a bigger saw. Have both a Stihl and Dolmar dealer nearby.... Options are:

1. Rebuilt ms660 with a 30" bar for $750. Saw looks rough, runs good. 750 bucks sounds a little steep, and is more saw than I was looking for.

2. New Stihl 441 with 24" bar for $800. This is the size I was looking for, but $800 is once again higher than I was thinking.

3. New Dolmar 7900 with 24" bar for $650. I like the size and weight of this saw. Price seems more reasonable.

I currently have a smaller Dolmar, and am satisfied with it. With this price point I will probably go with option 3 unless someone here can talk me out of it. Dad always said you get what you pay for, so is the extra 150 worth getting a Stihl?

Thanks
If I had a dolmer dealership close to me thats what i would have!!!!!(You wont be disapointed)to match the dolmer 7900 you would have to go up to the 460 and they are 889.00 the only way the stihl would be worth the extra money is if your plaining to modify it later date stihl are easier to do,and take port work Nicely

If you like you'r dealer and the Dolmar than go with the Dolmar.

John

Like smokinj said.... You won't be dissapointed with any of those saws.

Right now Dolmar presents the best value on the market. They're trying to build market share, and a brand new 7900 will last you.... Forever.

willisl64 said:

Thanks

I had an old (early 70s model) Stihl 41 for years. I bought it at a garage sale for $50. I used it for 10 years or so and gave it away a couple years ago. It is still running fine.

This is why I buy Stihls.

I'd drop the extra $150 for a 41.

What are you cutting? Do you really need an 79cc saw? Not saying that you shouldn't get one, but I am a professional user, and I hardly ever have call for anything that large. There are certainly applications for big saws, but they normally are not day to day cutting operations, so that is why I was interested in what the application was.

willisl64 said:

I was a Stihl and Homelite mechanic dating back to the late 60s. In the 70s -80s, Shihl made some great saws - and I still have several. Also started making some genuine, homeowner-only crap. Same goes for Husky and Jonsereds (basically the same saws).

I just went shopping for new larger saw recently. I wanted something close in power and durability to my Stihl 056 and 045 Super saws (biggest is 94 ccs.). I also wanted a saw that would use the same chains - i.e. full profile 3/8", .050 gauge and 60 link for a 16" bar, 72 link for a 20" bar, etc. I have one 056 with a 30" bar.

Long story short - I went to several Husky and Stihl dealers and was disappointed with what you get for your money. I finally went out and bought a 64 cc Dolmar under the Makita name. Paid around $500 with a 20" bar and three chains. Seems to be very rugged and I know, for sure, it has an all-metal crankcase (unlike many Huskys). It cuts just about as fast as my biggest Stihl 056 Magnum II - with a 20" bar sunk into a 30" hard-maple. Check back with me in 30 years and I'll tell you how well it holds up. At present, I am very impressed with it.

I'll comment about the older Stihl 040 and 041 though, since another poster mentioned the model. It was our #1 seller for many years, and - they fell apart something awful -like clockwork. We finally adopted a policy that - with any 041 or 051 we sold new - we'd pull it all apart, and put back together with Loctite - before the customer got to use it. That eliminated many problems. #1 failure point with the 041s was the fiber intake-manifold coming loose where it bolts to the jug.

No 372? You can buy a new husky for the price of that rebuilt sthil.
A couple pro users around here have switched to Dolmar I was talking to one the other day. He is really happy with the oiler, he's going through half the oil with the Dolmar over the Husky. He isn't happy with the air filter it gets plugged quick. Sometimes within a day, where as the huskys could go a couple of weeks. He did like the weight of the 79 Dolmar over the new 575 husky, which to be honest I haven't found anyone that like them.

Sealcove said:
What are you cutting? Do you really need an 79cc saw? Not saying that you shouldn't get one, but I am a professional user, and I hardly ever have call for anything that large. There are certainly applications for big saws, but they normally are not day to day cutting operations, so that is why I was interested in what the application was.

"Need" a 80cc saw? No, I just like toys, it is a want...since I'm not choosing to participate in this "recession" I thought I'd help "stimulate" my local economy. We cut many 18-30 inch oak and shagbark. I can cut it with my 50cc 510 and the 18" bar, but would like to make shorter work of it.

willisl64 said:
"Need" a 80cc saw? No, I just like toys, it is a want...since I'm not choosing to participate in this "recession" I thought I'd help "stimulate" my local economy. We cut many 18-30 inch oak and shagbark. I can cut it with my 50cc 510 and the 18" bar, but would like to make shorter work of it.

A bigger saw wont necessarily make cutting lots of wood go much faster; sometimes it can even slow you down. Unless you are the hulk, often times the heavier power head slows cutters down more than the added cutting power speeds it up. I will reach for my 357XP w/ 18" bar every time for cuts up to 36", and I know I can cut faster and safer with the 357XP than a 372XP. This is especially true if I am looking at a several hours of cutting. Again the big saws have a place, but I would not want to throw one around for hour after hour of firewood bucking (and I am 6'4" 220lbs and fit).

I would also look at the quality of the repair shop. The only Dolmar dealer here is a chain farm supply store. Not sure how good their shop is but I know on one thing I called about, I was told to call back in a week when their repair guy was back from vacation (he handles lawn mowers, riding mowers, and everything else).

OTOH, it's often easier to find a decent Stihl repair shop. But maybe in your area, Dolmar is more common and you have a couple of good dealers.

Dolmar is trying to expand their sales range. But what if they give up and cut back?

Ken

Ken45 said:
Dolmar is trying to expand their sales range. But what if they give up and cut back?

Ken

Funny. I heard almost exactly the same thing from our Homelite saw rep. back in the early 70s when we were considering taking on Stihl saws. He warned us that we'd never get product or parts support from a German saw company like we did from Homelite.

Maybe he was right - since I recently found out Stihl stopped selling major parts for my 056.

Ken45 said:
I would also look at the quality of the repair shop. The only Dolmar dealer here is a chain farm supply store. Not sure how good their shop is but I know on one thing I called about, I was told to call back in a week when their repair guy was back from vacation (he handles lawn mowers, riding mowers, and everything else).

OTOH, it's often easier to find a decent Stihl repair shop. But maybe in your area, Dolmar is more common and you have a couple of good dealers.

Ken

Dolmar is the oldest chainsaw manufacturer in the world.

Unlike Stihl, you can actually obtain parts online (major bonus for me).

The 066 is to much saw unless you are going to throw a 36in bar on it, the 441 is a piece of junk so split the difference and find a used 460.

Go with the Dolmar. It has more power than even a 460 and less weight. I have heard of no reliability issues with the Dolmar.

Sealcove said:
A bigger saw wont necessarily make cutting lots of wood go much faster; sometimes it can even slow you down. Unless you are the hulk, often times the heavier power head slows cutters down more than the added cutting power speeds it up. I will reach for my 357XP w/ 18" bar every time for cuts up to 36", and I know I can cut faster and safer with the 357XP than a 372XP. This is especially true if I am looking at a several hours of cutting. Again the big saws have a place, but I would not want to throw one around for hour after hour of firewood bucking (and I am 6'4" 220lbs and fit).

Correct SC !!!

Except in the Pacific Northwest ( DBH commonly over 4 feet ), most loggers in the Northeast tend to use medium ~50cc saws for almost all cutting. Saws like the 346XP and 260 have enough torque and power to handle a 18" to 20" to cut up to 4' trees with the knowledge to bore cut. Scandinavians as a rule use even shorter bars on the same high torque saws, close to 14" to 16" bars for their smaller trees.

Many loggers and myself have gone DOWN in size over the years: most cutting with a 16" bar on 50cc saws. Easier handling, safer for less fatigue, faster sharpening in the field. Look around at timber operations in your region. No need for most to get a 80cc saw with a 36" bar.....unless of course you have the need for macho.

downeast said:
Sealcove said:
A bigger saw wont necessarily make cutting lots of wood go much faster; sometimes it can even slow you down. Unless you are the hulk, often times the heavier power head slows cutters down more than the added cutting power speeds it up

I've worked as a logger and as a firewood cutter. For me, my preference differs between the two types of work. I also like a light saw when working in the woods. Often, I don't cut up much, just drop and top large trees, bunch them up with a crawler, and drag to the skidway.

When I worked for Aslplundh, much of my cutting was done from a bucket or a climbing harness - and with saws - the lighter the better.

When I cut firewood, often it's dealing with a large pile of tops/logs in one place, and on the ground. Sometimes, with large, very hard wood, I prefer a big saw for some of it. That just happens to be my preference, and I'm not a big guy at 5'9" and 160 lbs. I keep a 30" chain on one saw - just for the real big stuff - and only when it's sitting clear of the ground so I know the end of the bar insn't going to poke through and dig through pebbles. A big chain is a big pain to sharpen, especially if it's full chisel.

That all being said, I'm finding my "little" 64 cc Dolmar to cut big wood just as well as my largest Stihl 056 Magnum at 94 ccs.

jdemaris said:
downeast said:
Sealcove said:
A bigger saw wont necessarily make cutting lots of wood go much faster; sometimes it can even slow you down. Unless you are the hulk, often times the heavier power head slows cutters down more than the added cutting power speeds it up

I've worked as a logger and as a firewood cutter. For me, my preference differs between the two types of work. I also like a light saw when working in the woods. Often, I don't cut up much, just drop and top large trees, bunch them up with a crawler, and drag to the skidway.
When I worked for Aslplundh, much of my cutting was done from a bucket or a climbing harness - and with saws - the lighter the better.
When I cut firewood, often it's dealing with a large pile of tops/logs in one place, and on the ground. Sometimes, with large, very hard wood, I prefer a big saw for some of it. That just happens to be my preference, and I'm not a big guy at 5'9" and 160 lbs. I keep a 30" chain on one saw - just for the real big stuff - and only when it's sitting clear of the ground so I know the end of the bar insn't going to poke through and dig through pebbles. A big chain is a big pain to sharpen, especially if it's full chisel.
That all being said, I'm finding my "little" 64 cc Dolmar to cut big wood just as well as my largest Stihl 056 Magnum at 94 ccs.

Gotta tell you both, it is fine to finally have some reason and solid experience-based advice here. :coolsmile: Thanks.

Go: "smaller is better". No macho loggers or arborists we know. :)

I find I use my 346XP about 1.5:1 over my 372XPW. The 346 is nice because it's nimble and it cuts fast and it's very light. However if you get into big timber the 372 pretty much blows away the 346. Usually 15" and under stuff is the 346 and 15+ is the 372. Being in the PNW it's nice having both size saws with me when I cut.

I cut with a few neighbors and between them all they own the Dolmar 7900, MS440, MS460. If I was to buy one I'd go for the Dolmar. It's light, has great power and so far has been reliable. The cost savings over the Stihl or Husky makes it a good choice.

Most loggers here run a 440 or smaller. fire dept.'s are using the 460. i run my 440 almost exclusively with a 24" bar, i have a 42" bar for big logs, but i rarely use it. the mini boss 180 runs way more than the 440 at my house. no machismo here, i adore that little saw.

I have some stihl and just got a dolmar 7900 a month or so back. Used them today in fact.
Mostly I cut firewood under 18 inches. Not much big wood in this area. what I find is that the lighter weight of the 026 waymakes up for the slower cutting under 12-16 inches. So that is the limbing and most used saw. However, in the larger stuff, the dolmar is worth getting out just for bucking up the trunks, maybe 10 or 20 cuts. Saves MUCH time there, but is it overall worth it? to me, yes, also allows a 24 or 28 inch bar with full power for felling which I think is safer than making two cuts.
and it is just plain fun.

I would not get a 6400 dolmar though (or the fabled 361 either.). Same bulk and weight but less power than the 7900.
There are some super deals on 6400 on the inet. Then spend the money on the P&C;for upgrade maybe. Tha is about $200. Mine was a HD rental 6400, ocnverted to 79 by the guy I bought from.

The o46 is more the long term proven workhouse, with reliabilty and parts well established. 7900 is looking good, but still needs years of proving out. If I made myliving with a saw, or packed it into the wood somewhere, I'd go 046. As a weekender, I like the Dolmar.

The 7900 is more comparable to the 046 than the 660.

I like the 50 cc for all purpose saw, and bring out the 7900 for bucking trunks bigger than 16 inches or so.

k

Sealcove said:
willisl64 said:

My 460 85 percent of the time speeds cuts up alot yes, alot only slows you down when the cuts are chest high and up or 4 in. and under

smokinj said:
Sealcove said:
willisl64 said:

My 460 85 percent of the time seeds cuts up alot yes, alot only slows you down when the cuts are chest high and up or 4 in. and under

I guess I'm a hulk as I like to cut anything over 8" with the 066 MAG. Don't want to piss around and take all day to buck up some wood.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
I guess I'm a hulk as I like to cut anything over 8" with the 066 MAG. Don't want to piss around and take all day to buck up some wood.

I own and professionally operate all sizes of saws, and I am simply stating that for most normal bucking I can cut faster with my smaller saws. I can grab an 80cc saw, but experience has taught me that unless the wood size demands it the extra power is a waste of time and energy. Often times I find that many people make up for bad filing and bar dressing with more power. If you want to run a 90cc saw to buck firewood that is your prerogative; for me the smaller saw is the appropriate tool for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.