Bigger saw question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KYrob

Jan 8, 2010
KY
I cut about 8 cords of firewood a year and cut other trees when needed on the farm. Most are hardwoods. I have a MS250 that has done the job so far but have recently gotten in to some bigger trees. I can get the new MS290 with a 20" bar for around 370.00. I found a MS390 with a 20" bar and chain and also a new 25" bar and 2 new chains for 400.00 that is advertised as only having been used one time. A pro series saw would be nice but they are quite expensive. Curious as to what you guys think about these choices. The one positive with the 290 is a warranty, at least for awhile while the 390 could have been straight gassed on it's one run. Anyway, what do you think?

Rob

I would go with the 390..65cc's 400.00 not bad if its mint!

If were talking 12-24 inch stuff, I would get the 290 myself unless you can get the 390 cheaper than $400. But I would stick with a 18" bar on that 290. I've run mine with both and I think its a much better saw with a 18" bar. I've cut plenty of stuff in that size and I really like the stihl RSC chain.

The 390 would be a much better saw if its been taken care of. I got an 290 and like my 028 alot better if that tells you anything.

The 290 is not much of a jump from the 250, and just a lot heavier. Good reliable saw, but no practical advantage over what you have.

A good 390, if it is good, would be your better option. At least the things will pull a 20 with authority. Pull the muffler and eyeball the piston for scoring if you think it might have been straight gassed.

Check into a good used 361 or 70cc Stihl for the most bang for the buck, and practical difference.
If the saw is gonna be heavy and cost ya some coin, it wight as well return something for the investment.;)
I have seen a few 361's for around 4 bills here and there, and at least one 460 that has tempted me, so they are out there.

Good luck to ya, however you decide to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.