bigtooth aspen????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crackshot

Jan 15, 2011
Moosup ct
do any of you here burn bigtooth aspen? I have a ton of 100 footers here on my property and am wondering if you know, 1...how it burns , and 2...how long should it be seasoned, i am aware that its a soft wood, but would love some pointers

It'll burn fast and hot, not leaving good coals and a lot of ash. A lot of folks use these types of wood for shoulder season. If you have a lot of it, and can feed the stove often, you can get away with it. Don't expect overnight burns, etc. Cheers!

great for burning don coals if yo uhave alot of em in the stove and if you need some fast heat my guess is about a year split to dry. but i got at least 2 on everything i burn if not longer.

great for burning don coals if yo uhave alot of em in the stove and if you need some fast heat my guess is about a year split to dry. but i go at least 2 on everything i burn if not longer.

Compare it to our red alder. Seasons quickly and does not put out lots of heat, just steady warmth. Cut it now, enjoy it later. Hey that sounds like a commercial. :roll:

Not the greatest firewood, but nice to process. the trees are usually straight and it splits easily.

crackshot said:
do any of you here burn bigtooth aspen? I have a ton of 100 footers here on my property and am wondering if you know, 1...how it burns , and 2...how long should it be seasoned, i am aware that its a soft wood, but would love some pointers

Poplar, popple or aspen . . . as others have mentioned . . . it's a "soft" hardwood in the same vein of thought as basswood is soft . . . it will burn quick and fast and is fantastic for shoulder season fires, kindling or to get a fire going . . . not so great if you're looking for a long-burning or coaling fire . . . like most other wood I would give it 9-12 months of seasoning before use . . . as always . . . more time is almost always better since we hear of many folks complaining that their wood is not fully seasoned whereas I haven't heard of too many folks complaining that the wood is seasoned too much.

You can also mix this wood in with other hardwood.

Me . . . I don't go out of my way to cut popple, but if there is one in the way I'll take the wood . . . wood is wood . . . and for every species there is a season and a reason.

crackshot said:

We'll be burning it next heating season, shoulder season wood. We have around 1.5 cord c/s/s with more to be cut in the spring.

Zap

Some guys turn up their noses at poplar or other softer hardwoods, but I like to have some. It lights up fast and burns hot, so I can heat up the stove quickly. I use it to burn down piles of coals, and I like to add some Red Maple or pine (I dont actually have much poplar, but it would be the same) to a load of harder woods to start the load burning quickly.

I'd not turn it down . As others have said it's a good shoulder season wood . It splits and seasons reasonably well .
I've got a bunch of it on My place ,I drop one every year for the reasons mentioned earlier .

thank you all for your help, looks like ill be droppin a few of these suckers this week, maybe what ill start burning with next year!

Status
Not open for further replies.