bingo! nailed some beauts!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 mi. from the cabin-a MASSIVE oak blowdown.think it's white oak. in a farmer neighbors barnyard. drove in to ask him about it and he said: hell yeh,take it. also pointed to 2 soon-to-be large dead ash trees next to his barn and said to take them too if i want them.duhh. one is an easy drop- strong lean away from the barn. the other is a little trickier. leanin in. probably will put the climbers on ,go up about 20 ft. and attach a stout rope and attach to my come-a-long and get it that way. should be fairly easy. the oak is about 30 in. diameter and will be GREAT firewood in about 2 years or so. tha ash -a year and a half. my new years resolution to myself is to learn how to store and post pictures to the net so i can share these great finds pictorially. art

Sounds good, that farmer might pull that leaner down with a tractor for ya, I had one guy do that as he was happy to get the tree out of there.

oldspark said:
Sounds good, that farmer might pull that leaner down with a tractor for ya, I had one guy do that as he was happy to get the tree out of there.

+1. Cheers!

Great score artmos! Good for you. Some pics would be great. If you get that Ash split up and stacked outside it will season quickly for ya. Check out this link to a thread I posted in the boiler room. It shows some nice size Ash splits with moisture content pics showing just how fast it will season.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/87727/

Art, that is a great find! Farmers can be your friends and it sounds like you've made one.

hey spark- indeed the farmer said he would be there with his tractor to help me take it down-probably wants to be there anyway with his camera in case i put the tree thru his barn-evidence for the lawsuit. ha. actually he is a fine guy and his help is appreciated-along with the free wood! art

hey gas- thanx for the link to your ash burn-interesting stuff for sure. glad that big honker burned up all right. i love ash for many reasons-no. one is that are dozens of acres around me filled with it-as well as hickory,oak,walnut,locust,etc. all the good hardwoods.enough for several lifetimes. however when i find a scrounge like the ones i just did,i am more than eager to tackle them. drive the truck or tractor/trailer right up to them and go to town. wood c/s/s is fast becoming my favorite cold(?) weather pasttime. just rigged the a/c tractor op with a boom pole for lite skidding and bought a carry-all for the 3 pt. hitch yesterday. am trying to figure out a good design for making a box or something to carry saws,oil,tools,etc. out and rounds back in.the carryall was only the drilled frame (tractor supply 130 buck special) . i have to pick up some p.t. wood for a box. we'll see. thanx again,art

dennis- when you live in the boonies like i do (or anywhere,actually) it certainly pays to make friends with the local populace. although we've been in the cabin 21 yrs. we are still meeting new folks regularly. a lot more since i retired 6 yrs. ago. this farmer who so generously let me have his trees has a huge pile of old barnwood out in the weather that he needs put into his barn. said he was "waiting for the elves " to do it,so i told him i would be over monday morning at 7 to help him get it in. a small gesture of thanks that was really appreciated. that's what make the world go round! art

If it were not for my neighboring farmer friends, I would be hauling wood in our Caravan. I'm thankful for good neighbors.

we helped out a local farmer (actually one of the oldest farms in the area) and we scored 7 HUGE locusts, very old and he wants them down......got three cut split and stacked already, waiting for the freeze this winter to get the other four......lol.....we did them for free and he gave us the wood, he also took care of the branches......win-win for both of us!

artmos said:
this farmer who so generously let me have his trees has a huge pile of old barnwood out in the weather that he needs put into his barn. said he was "waiting for the elves " to do it,so i told him i would be over monday morning at 7 to help him get it in. a small gesture of thanks that was really appreciated. that's what make the world go round! art
what you offered to do for that farmer.....THATS the good stuff....you've instantly developed a friendship that will long outweigh the benefits of the free firewood you scored......great story, I love to hear stories like this.......

artmos said:
dennis- when you live in the boonies like i do (or anywhere,actually) it certainly pays to make friends with the local populace. although we've been in the cabin 21 yrs. we are still meeting new folks regularly. a lot more since i retired 6 yrs. ago. this farmer who so generously let me have his trees has a huge pile of old barnwood out in the weather that he needs put into his barn. said he was "waiting for the elves " to do it,so i told him i would be over monday morning at 7 to help him get it in. a small gesture of thanks that was really appreciated. that's what make the world go round! art

Now that was a wonderful thing for you to do and I'll bet it was greatly appreciated too. Good for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.