Bio based bar chain oil like ultra lube

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love it! Just like when I did some looking and found that the seven dollar a pint lube for the office shredders was 100% soybean oil. Available at the supermarket as cooking oil for two fifty a quart. Except when it was on sale for seven bucks a gallon.

Ask them for a MSDS Material Safety Data Sheet and I have a hundred bucks that says it is the same stuff.

Been using bio based oil for the past couple of years. I picked up a couple of gallons of the Husky stuff. It's sunflower oil, and seems to work well. I also tried canola oil (cooking oil), and find that here is really no difference to me. The upside/downside of canola is that when the chain/bar gets warm, it smells like cooking french fries!

Lots of posts on here about bio chain oils, a search should turn up lots of reading.

Cheers!

Store brand canola oil at Walmart is $5 & change a gallon.Wesson or similar a buck or so more.

Might be even a little cheaper at Costco in 2 gallon jugs if they have it.

CaddyUser said:
Been using bio based oil for the past couple of years. I picked up a couple of gallons of the Husky stuff. It's sunflower oil, and seems to work well. I also tried canola oil (cooking oil), and find that here is really no difference to me. The upside/downside of canola is that when the chain/bar gets warm, it smells like cooking french fries!

Lots of posts on here about bio chain oils, a search should turn up lots of reading.

Cheers!

Back in the 1970s, I went to Brazil as a tourist. They were burning some sort of automotive fuel derived from a cooking oil and all of Rio de Janeiro smelled like fried chicken. Yum!

I thought I read somewhere that vegetable based oils can gum up or crystalize or do something undesireable over time so the recommendation was to drain the oil out of the saw if wasn't going to be used for a while.

Would one have to adjust the automatic oiler if using, say, canola oil v. b&c oil? I would think canola would be a bit more fluid.

I'd be up for trying it. Have wanted to try the 2-cycle mix Bailey's sells that is made up of beef fat or something like that, although I'm scared of attracting cougars and bears. ;) but it would be nicer to smell like a hamburger than an burned oil smell... maybe.

Catspaw said:
I thought I read somewhere that vegetable based oils can gum up or crystalize or do something undesireable over time so the recommendation was to drain the oil out of the saw if wasn't going to be used for a while.

Knock on wood, I have not had any problems. I do make sure that the oil tank is full before storage though. I had heard that some run conventional mineral oil as the last tank before storage.

quercus_kelloggii said:
Would one have to adjust the automatic oiler if using, say, canola oil v. b&c oil? I would think canola would be a bit more fluid.

I'd be up for trying it. Have wanted to try the 2-cycle mix Bailey's sells that is made up of beef fat or something like that, although I'm scared of attracting cougars and bears. ;) but it would be nicer to smell like a hamburger than an burned oil smell... maybe.

True, canola is more fluid, but most saws have sufficient volume in the tank so that gas runs out before oil anyhow. I did not adjust my saws before I changed over. Never really noticed any significant increase in consumption.....

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.