Bio Brick/BTU

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2005
I noticed that the BioBrick web site states

"One pallet of our BioBricks(TM) brings as much heat into your house as one
cord of wood*. That's one 4'x4'x3' pallet of BioBricks replacing a 4'x4'x8' stack
of cordwood.. "

By my calculation, a pallet of Bio bricks is 2000 LBS. (50 40LB packs)
So How can 2000Lbs of compressed wood have more BTU that 3500 Lbs of real wood?

Can it have more BTU per LB?

I know its handier and neater and has a lot going for it but more BTU per LB?

I noticed that the BioBrick web site states

"One pallet of our BioBricks(TM) brings as much heat into your house as one
cord of wood*. That's one 4'x4'x3' pallet of BioBricks replacing a 4'x4'x8' stack
of cordwood.. "

By my calculation, a pallet of Bio bricks is 2000 LBS. (50 40LB packs)
So How can 2000Lbs of compressed wood have more BTU that 3500 Lbs of real wood?

Can it have more BTU per LB?

I know its handier and neater and has a lot going for it but more BTU per LB?
So what was the BTU claim of per pallet of BioB ?

This is what i have found on BioBricks........

BioBricks and Cordwood Equivalents :

1 Cord Wood vs 1 Ton BioBricks

Seasoned Cord Wood 2700 lbs.
BioBricks 2200 lbs.
BioBricks burn 50%

BioBricks burn 70 degrees Hotter

So it compares 1 cord of dry wood at 2700 lbs to 2200 lbs of bio bricks ........

NOTE the "dry wood" they compare BioBricks to at 2700 lbs per cord would be PINE @ 20% Moisture
Pine is a low value BTU cord wood.

NW Fuels said:
We have the 8lb energy log which is 16.5 million BTU per 2,000lb pallet. Does'nt come close to east coast hardwoods.

Thomas
Your BTUs per pallet compared to 1 cord of wood would also be cottonwood or pine at 16. mil btu per cord.
Thanks for the heads up on BTU . Information i couldn't find.

So if you compared 1 pallet of BioBricks and/or energy logs cost at say $299. per ton/pallet at 16. mil btu per (internet price i found )

VS

Oak @ 1 cord wood at 27.5 mil BTU per cord @ what ever a local cord price is.

(My local Oak cord prices is around $140. per/cord)

To compare BTU of Oak cordwood to bio at around 16. mil btu

So that puts 1/2 a cord Oak at 13.75 BTUs @ $70.00 (1850 lbs )
&
Bio wood 16. mil BTU per pallet @ $299.00 (2200 lbs )

Notes:

1 cord of OAK is 27.5 mil BTU per cord @ 3700 lbs. = $140.00
1/2 cord of oak mil BTU per 1/2 13.75 weighs 1850 lbs = $70.00

1 cord of Osage Orange is 32.5 mil BTU per cord @ 4728 lbs = $140.00
1/2 cord Osage Orange mil BTU per 1/2 16.25 weighs 2364 lbs = $70.00

Bio at 33. mil BTU for 2 pallets @ 4400 lbs = $598.00
Bio at 16.5 BTU per mill 1 pallet 2200 lbs = $299.00

Bio pallet @ 2 VS Osage Orange cord @1:
Bio is 328 lbs less
Bio is 627 btu more per lb.
Bio cost $458.00 more than Osage Orange cord. @ around the same BTUs ( 33. / 32.5 )

Interesting - I am in complete agreement with Roospike on this one :)

I had a similar argument with BioPellet last year about the claim of one pallet of biobricks equalling one cord of wood. Unfortunately, the attitude taken degrades credibility on so many other valuable points.

Compressed logs have their place for some situations and applications, but they should not be sold as a cheaper alternative to New England hardwood. They should be sold on convenience, burn time, competitiveness with low grade wood or areas of the country with excessive cordwood prices, or perhaps as a premium product that costs more but has extra convenience. Once you overstate claims that simply fail the mass/energy balance test you quickly lose credibility with this crowd.

-Colin

NY Soapstone said:
Interesting - I am in complete agreement with Roospike on this one :)

I had a similar argument with BioPellet last year about the claim of one pallet of biobricks equalling one cord of wood. Unfortunately, the attitude taken degrades credibility on so many other valuable points.

Compressed logs have their place for some situations and applications, but they should not be sold as a cheaper alternative to New England hardwood. They should be sold on convenience, burn time, competitiveness with low grade wood or areas of the country with excessive cordwood prices, or perhaps as a premium product that costs more but has extra convenience. Once you overstate claims that simply fail the mass/energy balance test you quickly lose credibility with this crowd.

-Colin
I agree also, 1 pallet of our 8lb energy logs(68,000 BTU per log 240 logs per pallet) equals 16.5 million BTU.
Our cord wood at the most is 12 million BTU. We charge the same for both products($235.00 customer picks up) Therefore Energy logs is a better value all around. Now compare to Eastcoast cordwood and the cordwood wins hands down. NO COMPARISON TO EASTCOAST HARDWOODS. Seems simple to me!

NW Fuels, Honesty goes a long way my man.
Even tho i normally use Duraflame logs cut up to start my fires as i have for years i have been bragging about your product to friends and family local & through emails/phone for a wile now and know of 2 family members and about 5 or 6 of my friends that have bought your starter disc and swear by them now. I guess sometimes its the little things that make the big things happen. ;-)

And to NY Soapstone, Thanks brotherman , Its nice to agree on something. :cheese:

These figs sound accurate. It's tough not to oversell things - our industry has definitely done that with stoves, etc - why, I remember back in 1979 when a BUCK stove would heat your house all day with just two logs. I remember the Pyramid stove which used ancient powers (no kidding) to move heat to the far ends of the house. And I remember one ton of pellets being equal to 1 1/2 cords of wood...sometimes more!

But didn't we just have this same thread? and over 2,000 people looked at it? Wow, the more you guys speak, the more bios that bio sells!

Webmaster said:
These figs sound accurate. It's tough not to oversell things - our industry has definitely done that with stoves, etc - why, I remember back in 1979 when a BUCK stove would heat your house all day with just two logs. I remember the Pyramid stove which used ancient powers (no kidding) to move heat to the far ends of the house. And I remember one ton of pellets being equal to 1 1/2 cords of wood...sometimes more!

But didn't we just have this same thread? and over 2,000 people looked at it? Wow, the more you guys speak, the more bios that bio sells!

Thats alright , information is good. People can make there best choice off of acurate information.
He(( , A rock star end up in jail , pop singer gets pregnant and or gets a divorce and it all tuns into money.
Discussing information is why were here i guess. Cat vs Non Cat gets old after a wile. :lol:

CATS and Compressed logs or Everburn and Compressed logs. Or Can you tell what political party a person votes for if they burn compressed logs or not.

(Warren ducks and hides before Craig hits him with a fireplace poker :) )

Or Can you tell what political party a person votes for if they burn compressed logs or not.

Not totally, you need to get a look at what they used to transport them to the house...and I believe something to do with their choice of footwear (the Berkinstock vs. Wing Tip can be a dead giveaway) :lol:

(MrGriz ducking as well)

Warren said:
CATS and Compressed logs or Everburn and Compressed logs. Or Can you tell what political party a person votes for if they burn compressed logs or not.

(Warren ducks and hides before Craig hits him with a fireplace poker :) )

No doubt they are right wing to have that much money! (ducking before bio throws a bio at me!)

Actually, they are "closet" liberals - Frank Ivy would expain if he weren't so busy with his pending move to Montana....which, due to the election, he had to now change to Mississippi - it's really about the only safe place left (I mean right).

Dang, it better get cold here soon or this board will lose all hope!

Actually, on third thought, those bricks look a little like hashish. Maybe it's that blond lebanese stuff headed back this way......

have to go, I must type up an invoice and send to bio man.

Attachments

• bios.jpg
    bios.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,128
  • bios2.jpg
    bios2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,116
Status
Not open for further replies.