Bio-bricks Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

derbydude

Feb 17, 2014
Stamford CT
Whats the best insert for burning bio-bricks? Or atleast kiln-dried wood...it seems more convenient option to loading the stove and leaving it burn for max time

Blaze King cat stove. I wouldn't burn kiln wood because of higher potential of overfiring. Blaze king stoves owners report the longest burn times on this forum. They are a bit pricey but you get what you pay for.

Blazeking Princess Insert hands down. The stove has three extremely important components that allow you to maximize burn time, (1) a heat measuring coil that automatically controls the damper in order to maintain steady heat output, (2) a catalytic combuster in order to maximize efficiency of burning and to slow down wood consumption, and (3) a very large firebox for a wood stove insert. These three components separate the stove from most other wood stoves, in that they're very modern, clean, efficient, and EASY. You can burn kilt dried or manufactured wood bricks without risk of over firing in this stove.

There is always a risk of over firing due to an operator error but with princess it's minimal. Princess is my dream stove. My next stove will be a blaze king stove.

Reactions: stayfitz
There is always a risk of over firing due to an operator error but with princess it's minimal. Princess is my dream stove. My next stove will be a blaze king stove.

My dream stove too!

The use of bio bricks or kilt dried wood would not be the cause of over firing of the Blaze King Princess insert stove, as was implied from a prior post.

I said operator error. If you will leave in a highest stat setting you will over fire the stove.

Blazeking Princess Insert hands down. The stove has three extremely important components that allow you to maximize burn time, (1) a heat measuring coil that automatically controls the damper in order to maintain steady heat output, (2) a catalytic combuster in order to maximize efficiency of burning and to slow down wood consumption, and (3) a very large firebox for a wood stove insert. These three components separate the stove from most other wood stoves, in that they're very modern, clean, efficient, and EASY. You can burn kilt dried or manufactured wood bricks without risk of over firing in this stove.

Thats interesting - because I remember reading or someone saying that you should defeinitely NOT burn bio-bricks in a catalytic stove - because it cant handle higher temps

From the Princess manual:
Do not burn trash, paper, pine branches or artificial fire logs. Such abuse may void the warranty.

It does say "may" void the warranty. If you want or need to burn BioBricks I would call BlazeKing and find if this fuel is acceptable. The warning may be directed at not burning wax impregnated logs like DuraFlame. Best to check with BK when in doubt.

I think it was BKVP, but he was talking about the king. He was saying that due to the huge fire box and high btus stored in the bricks it's easy to over fire the stove if the operator doesn't pay attention. Cats are made to run hot. I am sure they can handle higher temps than the stove itself. But I might be wrong.;?

I've also seen BKVP state that he burns nothing but NIELs in his stove. Seems like an adequate endorsement to me. I bet you could call BK 3 times, talk to three different people and get 3 different answers about whether or not to burn bio bricks.

It says "THIS STOVE IS FOR USE WITH SOLID WOOD FUEL ONLY. Do not burn trash, paper, pine branches or artificial fire logs. Such abuse may void the warranty."

Trash, paper, pine branches (with the needles) and artificial logs (with wax impregnation) would void the warranty because you are burning things other than solid wood. Many bio bricks, including wood brick fuel, have zero additives. Therefore, it is a solid wood fuel. It will not void the warranty if it is a solid wood fuel, such as Wood Brick Fuel.

Bio bricks cannot burn too hot in the blaze king cat stoves because of the automatic thermostatic damper,which controls air flow automatically. If it gets hotter than the designated setting, the damper will close a bit.

If you can get some Northern Idaho Energy Logs up north I would consider them too. They are very long burning and pretty easy to control.

My pellet Store, 2 mill street, Enfield,CT, 06083
Phone: 1-860-265-7944

or
http://www.higginsenergy.com/pellet_pricing.html

I've also seen BKVP state that he burns nothing but NIELs in his stove. Seems like an adequate endorsement to me. I bet you could call BK 3 times, talk to three different people and get 3 different answers about whether or not to burn bio bricks.
FYI, I called BK and spoke to a lady who had fair knowledge but not a technical expert.
I was more interested in how it affects warranty anyway.
She said its ok to burn Ecobricks because they dont have "wax" - and its fine as long as theyre not stacked too tight.
When I asked her about burning bricks in cat vs non-cat, she said they havent tested either stove with bricks so she cant say for sure.
For me, that first "ok" is good enough - time to start shopping around for deals.

Stick with a known and hopefully reviewed brand. Cheap bricks and logs are just that. You want a good high density product.

Stick with a known and hopefully reviewed brand. Cheap bricks and logs are just that. You want a good high density product.
I meant shopping for a stove. I want the ability to burn bricks since I doubt I can always find the right seasoned wood. Dont mind paying extra for the bricks.

What we are trying to say that you can burn quality brick logs etc. in pretty much any stove or insert as long as they are compressed wood bricks not containing wax or other artificial binders.

spacer.gif
Whats the best insert for burning bio-bricks? Or atleast kiln-dried wood...it seems more convenient option to loading the stove and leaving it burn for max time

I see your in CT as well. Bio-bricks are great and local to CT. In fact my local Big-Y supermarket had them out today I noticed.

These are the best in my opinion. Tractor Supply will run a sale on these for $2.49 or $2.99 a pack. They come from a hardwood flooring factory from my research. A pack of these will get me 8-10 hours on burn time overnight.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Capture.jpg

I believe that bio bricks are made in Berlin CT.

spacer.gif

I see your in CT as well. Bio-bricks are great and local to CT. In fact my local Big-Y supermarket had them out today I noticed.

These are the best in my opinion. Tractor Supply will run a sale on these for $2.49 or $2.99 a pack. They come from a hardwood flooring factory from my research. A pack of these will get me 8-10 hours on burn time overnight.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

Sounds good. What kind of insert/stove do you burn them in?

On issue for me, they dont deliver to my part of the state.
Over on the southwestern part of CT, pellets/pellet stoves or even wood is very hard to find.
We have onl 1 pellet stove dealer west of Fairfield far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.