Bio bricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cookin2night

Jun 26, 2014
NW NEW JERSEY
Anyone here ever make bio bricks before? I have so much saw dust and bark I was thinking of ways I could still use it. Is there any contraption that I void by to make these compressed bricks?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm curious how you plan on compressing them into bricks. Hydraulic press?

Go to Kuiken Bro's and pick up a sleeve of bio bricks, look at how they are constructed, it may make you scratch your head

I'm curious how you plan on compressing them into bricks. Hydraulic press?
I'm thinking a mild of a brick, jamming as much mulch/saw dust as I can in there, then outs of weight on a plate over the mild to push it down.

Go to Kuiken Bro's and pick up a sleeve of bio bricks, look at how they are constructed, it may make you scratch your head
I have seen a video of some dude making it but with newspaper pulp.

I have seen a video of some dude making it but with newspaper pulp.
Yeah, saw the same video, that guy has a lot of time on his hands, there's another video of a dude using shredded news paper and pressing everything with (2) 5gal buckets

Sawdust used to be used directly as a fuel in special stoves and furnaces. There is a company in Seattle that still bears the legacy name of those days - Sawdust Supply.

This fellow has several youtube videos on making sawdust briquettes, briquettte drying oven and even his sawdust stove. He's been doing it quite a while and has it down to a system.

Couple years ago played with making some pucks to time consuming - But the sawdust stove in the previous post was interesting enough that I did some more looking around. Simple enough to make one a bit more involved that the vid above. Even found a couple sights of ready made- pricing was not to my liking though. I generate a fair amount of saw dust, plus the chainsaw leavings and such. I think I might just pursue this avenue Just to make use of the wasted btu's. Just hate to toss it out 3-4 dumpster loads at about 4 yards apiece or give it away by the 30 gallon trash can worth.

Couple years ago played with making some pucks to time consuming - But the sawdust stove in the previous post was interesting enough that I did some more looking around. Simple enough to make one a bit more involved that the vid above. Even found a couple sights of ready made- pricing was not to my liking though. I generate a fair amount of saw dust, plus the chainsaw leavings and such. I think I might just pursue this avenue Just to make use of the wasted btu's. Just hate to toss it out 3-4 dumpster loads at about 4 yards apiece or give it away by the 30 gallon trash can worth.
Blades, I like the idea of compressing it with two buckets. But it makes the pucks to big. If you could then cut the pucks afterwards without losing to much than it might work.

Its all about the density that you can achieve. stuff like Super cedars is what I would call low density and has a paraffin or similar additive in it- eco/ bio blocks other end of scale ( no additives). the compressed blocks on pallets as spacers about middle of the road. Some what achievable diy. Corn /patato/rice starch as a binder ( note starch not just powdered there is a difference ) This would give enough strength to be able to size afterwards once it is dried out.
The blocks do not go over well stateside 1 reason is that there are a bunch out there with wax binders and the average home owner hasn't a clue. So that leads to the second reason and that is Stove mfg say not to use compressed blocks in stoves- this to save their tail in the case of wax binder items.
Like CSS firewood labor intensive all boils down to economy of scale, That is why I find the saw dust stove idea interesting minimal compaction and just the dust nothing else required. Only fly in the ointment is moisture content when dealing with firewood leavings. That begets a drying system of some sort. Warning any combustible material when ground to a fine dust with the proper air mix becomes explosive.

Status
Not open for further replies.